so frustrated...

Ok, so I'm really cheap. Well after having a pay cut of 40% then my hours cut to 25 per week I need to be! I found a deal for a tt one (not third ed, or anything else, just one) with New Zealand map installed, I live in the US, I did some research. It seemed like I could "get" the North American maps for free and add it to my tt. Well I'm not all that savy so I had a friend do it. Here's the skinny-

He downloaded the map just fine, deleted New Zealand (to make room?)
Now the device is asking for an activation code which he can't seem to find.
I just did a search and seemed to be on the righ track but it seemes like you have to have your device code.
After finding out how to find that I called him. He says that you cant do ANYTHING on the tt until you enter the activation code. He cant even go to the menu.

Can anyone please help me out?

**Legitimate** maps obtained from TomTom using TomTom Home no longer require an activation code during the installation process.

My gut feeling is that the map you got may not be legitimate. Hope I'm wrong.

But, if I'm not, you won't get help here in installing it.

Having said what I just did.............

If indeed the map IS properly obtained, the Clear Flash tool found here often helps in situations such as you describe.

Download it, run it 3 times, and see if the problem is resolved.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the application version number. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version number.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the application version number. Tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version number.

I appreciate that but like I wrote in the original post, I can't get to the menu. After it starts up it asks for the activation code and goes to a keyboard so it can be typed in.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of the unit. In the root s/b a file called ttgo.bif (or close). It's a text file. Look at it with Notepad, the info should be there.

Thats the difference between being cheap and saving money. I hate to say it but a free map = stolen map (I'm not judging I dont care personally), however unless your friend is a very accomplished computer programmer I think all you have now is a paper weight.

You could always BUY a new map, but I think last time I was in best buy they had new Tomtom 130's in a huge pile for like 50-75 bucks a pop. They come with US maps and a 30day free upgrade to the latest..

Thats the difference between being cheap and saving money. I hate to say it but a free map = stolen map (I'm not judging I dont care personally), however unless your friend is a very accomplished computer programmer I think all you have now is a paper weight.

You could always BUY a new map, but I think last time I was in best buy they had new Tomtom 130's in a huge pile for like 50-75 bucks a pop. They come with US maps and a 30day free upgrade to the latest..

Well it's partly about the challenge really! :)

Ask a Question