New here and new to TomTom: VERY frustrated

TomTom Model(s)
Blue&Me TomTom 2
Hello. I've used a Garmin for years and found it easy to use. This means, of course, that I now have to learn a new interface and discover how to use the TomTom functions. My TomTom 2 here in the US came with my new FIAT 500. I have no clue how to use the Blue&Me functions at all and will pursue that issue another time. I have no manual and I can't even figure out which online manual is for my TYomTom. When I try to send a communication to TomTom on their website, my serial number is not recognized as valid. This might be a FIAT matter. again, I'll pursue that another time.

And so, my question!

With the Garmin, when I arrive at my destination, if I press my car icon, I can save the location as a Favorite. How the bloody heck do I do it with a TomTom? s it a convoluted series of steps? If I press the car icon, I get other stuff. Very confusing.

Thanks.

You're welcome; please report back on your findings - if you have any other questions, hopefully someone will be able to assist.

TomTom is very disappointing to me

It is true that I can either create a destination or actually go there and then save it as a favorite after entering a few menus. It is unfortunate that it takes these steps instead of being Garmin like where all I have to do after I arrive at a destination is to tap the auto icon to save the location as a favorite. That approach is simple, even intuitive. there doesn't seem to be anything intuitive about this TomTom system.

Worse yet, it has been impossible for me to get anything working on this device other than navigation, despite the interface, the FIAT promo. and TomTom claiming that it is a so-called Blue&Me device. FIAT is worthless about this. TomTom is worthless about this (Who the heck can I call by phone? NO ONE.), and the internet can't seem to help me. I'm an IT guy. This shouldn't be so hard. :(

So, I've removed the TomTom from my new FIAT, put my old Garmin in the car.

It is true that I can either create a destination or actually go there and then save it as a favorite after entering a few menus. It is unfortunate that it takes these steps instead of being Garmin like where all I have to do after I arrive at a destination is to tap the auto icon to save the location as a favorite. That approach is simple, even intuitive. there doesn't seem to be anything intuitive about this TomTom system.

Worse yet, it has been impossible for me to get anything working on this device other than navigation, despite the interface, the FIAT promo. and TomTom claiming that it is a so-called Blue&Me device. FIAT is worthless about this. TomTom is worthless about this (Who the heck can I call by phone? NO ONE.), and the internet can't seem to help me. I'm an IT guy. This shouldn't be so hard. :(

So, I've removed the TomTom from my new FIAT, put my old Garmin in the car.
I tried to edit my prior message, but went past 20 minutes. My point wasn't clear. I thought that this TomTom/Blue&Me/FIAT combo was more than a navigation system. I thought there was "eco drive" or such function, none of which I can seem to access. I give up.

Horses for courses I guess.
I find the menu system on TomTom's very clear, but I certainly wouldn't guess that to add a Favourite on a Garmin you'd have to tap on the car symbol... How's that intuitive?

Okay, I shouldn't have said it's intuitive. I'll just add that you don't have to tap the vehicle to add a favorite. It's one of the ways to do it and the easy way upon arrival at a new destination.

But, this is a TomTom forum. I have no interest in claiming that the Garmin is better in any way. It's different. I'm finished.

@ Frandy: I know you said you're finished, but I have a quick question, for the benefit of others who may be having the same issue that you're having regarding the other non-functional items you want to access. Did you take the car back to the dealer? If I were in your position I would not be trying to call anybody on the phone, since my experience with customer service reps is that they are there to PACIFY you, not necessarily to HELP you. Know what I mean? I think a better solution would be to take the car back to the dealer and let them walk you through those steps. If they are unable to help then at least you know where you stand. You're not gonna like this, but I would then suggest you seek your automotive pleasures at a Chevrolet dealer...think On-Star...think Sonic RS <wink>. A less dramatic solution would be to head to a FIAT 500 messageboard and read around before you ask any questions. When you figure out the tone of the board, ask your question. Good luck.

Ask a Question