Shutting off while connected to TomTom home

When my TomTom is connected to my computer, the message at the top of the screen says:

"Make sure you first turn off the on-screen device by clicking the power button on the picture before physically disconnecting your TomTom device from your computer!"

Sounds serious, but what button do they mean? There's no power button on the image of the TomTom on my computer screen, but there's the "My Device" button (which isn't on a "picture"), and the button on the TomTom itself.

It would seem that priority one would be to make the device a whole lot more forgiving about connecting and disconnecting. What happens if there's a power outage while connected?

My new 920 does not show this on the screen, by my 910 did. You have to click on the place where the 910 power button is on the screen view. This shuts off the screen TomTom, then you can power off or disconnect.
I hope that makes some sense ....

Andy

The "safest" policy would be to use the TaskTray Icon to "Safely remove hardware" and select the Tomtom drive(s) and wait for it to show okay.

I gather in Home, there is a pull-down item in the menu to Disconnect the device.

You generally have to hope that the power does not fail while you or the computer are writing to the device or SD card. As long as you are not actively writing, then even if you accidently disconnect, the device will probably survive but you may not be able to access the device unless you reboot your computer.

Ask a Question