GO 730 Shutting Off

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Why does my Go 730 want to keep shutting down every 5 minutes while charging in the USB dock?

Why does my Go 730 want to keep shutting down every 5 minutes while charging in the USB dock?

Try a pin reset. Also, do you have under preferences-->battery saving, to turn off when external power lost? If so, perhaps the usb port with the dock isn't providing enough power. Try another port (in the back of the computer, perhaps).

Also try to uncheck that preference.

Try a pin reset. Also, do you have under preferences-->battery saving, to turn off when external power lost? If so, perhaps the usb port with the dock isn't providing enough power. Try another port (in the back of the computer, perhaps).

Also try to uncheck that preference.

All the checks are correct. Funny if I leave it in the dock unpowered it stays on. If I plug in the USB and select "NO" to connect to computer it will try to shut down.

All the checks are correct. Funny if I leave it in the dock unpowered it stays on. If I plug in the USB and select "NO" to connect to computer it will try to shut down.

I have exactly the same problem as you describe above :(. I have duplicated the issue on two different computers. I have done a pin reset w/o success.

Did you find an easy solution Agent777?

Last edited:
Your device is working correctly....that's how TT designed it.

Now if you want to defeat the design.

Use my " how to " at your own risk !

Using Windows Explorer....Look in the TT root for the file

noautosuspend.dat

If you remove this file your device will not shut down when on the dock.

BUT....it also will NOT automatically shutdown when power is lost....using the battery saving feature....like in your car on the car charger.

ALWAYS backup your device and make copies of all files before removing them.

PSJ aka Marc

I think I may have an easier answer, and it is consistent with PSJ's post. I disagree with his statement that "it is working correctly", even if that is the way TomTom (aka - DumbDumb) designed it.

Battery savings preferences do not work when you are operating on only the battery - helloooooo - what were they thinking ?????

I had my 920 set to turn off the screen after instructions, and walking around with it, it would never do so. But when it was connected to the car adapter - it started to do so.

If you set it back to "never turn off the screen", it should stop shutting down when docked but not connected. It is not down, as if you are driving, the screen will come on with the next instruction. When it is sitting in the dock - no new instructions....

Instead of deleting a file to stop this, just change the preference for now.

Now PSJ - do you have an idea for a file/modification that would set the preference to work when not powered ??? This could be corrected in a new app, but I am not holding my breath.

Now PSJ - do you have an idea for a file/modification that would set the preference to work when not powered ??? This could be corrected in a new app, but I am not holding my breath.

Sorry, I can't help.

According to the manual, if you put it in the dock and tell it not to connect to the computer it will shut off in about 3 minutes so that it will charge faster.

Reasons why I put my tomtom930 on the dock are:

1. To connect to computer, run tomtom home, update files,
or to access the itn files created by log tracer.

2. To charge the tomtom via the USB cables.

I can't think of other reason why I want it in the docking station, and turned on, other than as a gps stand.

Anyway you can plug your tomtom to the car adapter. Then it will not turn off. Then you can plug in the car cable to any 12v DC source.

If your 81.0 application is working OK, it should not shut down when in the powered dock. I had my preference set to shut down after instructions, and it did so in the dock but not when only on the battery.

resets and clear flash did not clear it up. but deleting the app, and clearing out previously downloaded Navcores form Home downloads folder before having Home re-download and install 8.01 seems to have cleared it up.

It now does "shut down after instructions" while operating on the battery (which is what I would expect it should do) and with that setting on. It does not turn off while charging on the USB dock (but not connected to computer) or when plugged in to the car adapter anymore.

You might try loading a new 8.10 application (after you completely delete all vestiges of old ones).

PS - it did shut down on the USB dock (while not connected to computer) after a few minutes. This is regardless of the battery savings preferences. It may be that when it is not connected to computer, and not being used - it will just shut down.

Last edited:

Ask a Question