GO 720 - Shutting itself off mid-use

Hey folks

wondering if anyone has had this problem. New 720 keeps powering down like every 5-10 minutes. Gives me a little note that it's about to power down, and gives me a cancel button. I would have thought this was a battery saving thing, but it happens while plugged in and I can't find any preferences to change it.

Any thoughts?

Hey folks

wondering if anyone has had this problem. New 720 keeps powering down like every 5-10 minutes. Gives me a little note that it's about to power down, and gives me a cancel button. I would have thought this was a battery saving thing, but it happens while plugged in and I can't find any preferences to change it.

Any thoughts?

Check page 7 of your "Change Preferences" screen and see what you have checked under "Battery Preferences".

Mine also does that. When you first turn it on (in the vehicle) does is ask if you want to connect to computer (mine does) if I say no, if shuts off, if I say yes then it will stay on and continue to run untill I shut it off. Hope this helps? Please tell if you come up with another solution.
Brennan

If it asks you to connect to the computer when in the car's power (not in a laptop), it's a symptom that it is a faulty GPS. If you don't have the power saver enabled and the battery is full, it should not do that. We exchanged ours and it's fine now.

The thread referred to above has all the things to check first. If you bought it from BestBuy less than 14 days ago they will exchange it with no questions asked.

thanks all,

I've run a few tests:
a) it's not related to any settings on page 7 on battery saver options. I've got that set to not power down ever
b) my unit does not give me the message 'do you want to connect to the computer' unless I'm actually using the USB connection. so this theory doesn't work on my unit
c) someone said that it might be related to using a fully charged unit while it's plugged in. As soon as I remove the cable, it's fine and remains powered on (several hours now). Next thing to test is what happens when I plug the cable back in...

still calling tech help tomorrow because I agree - this doesn't make any sense that this should happen.

thanks

Plugging the cable in will not solve this. The bug only shows up when it's plugged in, either in the cable or cradle.

Ask a Question