GO 910 Shutting Off after 3-4 hour driving

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 910
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum....was out looking for help on the TomTom site but unfortunately it is down for maintenance. I have had my GO 910 for several years now and recently it has started giving me problems. I was in Houston, TX last month on my way trying to find a friend's house and it just died on me. The battery indicator started blinkng red and then out it went. Couldn't understand it because the green light was green on the unit as well as the charger light on the cigarette lighter plug in. I ended up buying a hard copy map and struggling from there. Recently, last weekend I was on my way to Celje, Slovenia and bam....out again after about 4 hours of driving. Does anyone know what gives? I have it plugged in my home docking station....full battery and it is fine....that is after recharging it for several hours and then resetting the unit. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Maybe it is time for a newer model but this navi has been awesome the whole time I have had it.

This well may not be your problem and some of the guys with more experience may have a better response but for what it's worth..I had a similar problem with my 910. It would just die. I always knew it was going to happen by the performance of the internal mp3 player which would start malfunctioning. TT's response at that time was that I probably had a defective hard drive. It worked well on brief trips but anything in the four hour neighborhood and it would start stuttering the mp3.s and shortly the unit would freeze. Sure enough soon the entire unit shut down completely. It was still under warranty and TT replaced it. No problems since then.

The 910 has suffered from a memory leak when using the mp3 player for some considerable time, typically it will take between 3 and 4 hours before the device starts to falter usually ending with a full reboot of the device.
Carry a pin to reset the device when it does this and it should be fine post reset - if it won't power up until you have also charged the device then I would consider a new car charger cable as something must be wrong with the charger - also make sure the device is locking on the mount correctly, if its bouncing around this can cause issues - Mike

Thanks guys for the information. I did a little experiment this afternoon, I mounted it on the windshield mount and plugged it into the wall and left it on....after about four hours....it started the same ritual....the red battery light started blinking and then it turned off. I am thinking the windshield mounting bracket is defective because if I leave it on the home docking station, it is fine. I just spend an hour looking for a replacement and can't find one. TT doesn't even have one. Has anyone tried the other mounting brackets available for the 910? Thanks.

Ask a Question