GO720 - shutting off when connect to computer

After recent updating my GO720 to navcore 8.351 I've got exactly same problem as described here and here (and may be some other threads). The short story - the unit is shutting off when I connect it to the computer. It asks me if I want to connect, when I select "Yes" - the screen goes off (turns off) and the only way to start the unit again is to reset it when usb cable or charger is connected to the unit. Also I found that battery level is shown incorrectly - after long charging time it shows only about 3/4 of the full battery.

This has happened after recent update to 8.351. Previous navcore (7.01 and 7.481) worked just fine.

I tried all known solutions to fix it - format internal flash and restore from backup, format flash and update the unit by TomTom Home - this installed 7.481 that I had before, but the problem still there. Also I tried TomTom Flash Cleaning Tool, ran it several times - it didn't help.

I assume it could be problem with bootloader - after first update to 8.351 it has changed to 5.5120 and never been downgraded, or it might be some hardware issue, but I wouldn't believe in that.

My unit is under the warranty, I contacted TomTom support, they proposed me to send the unit for repair and exchange it to another refurbished unit. I'm not very concerned to do it.

Does anybody with a similar problem tried to update the bootloader to the newer vesion than 5.5120? Did it fix the problem or it's still there even after update?

The another question I have - does anybody have an experience with fixing the units by TomTom? What condition those refurbished replacement units are? Do they have any cosmetical defects, scratches, malfunctioning buttons or loose usb connectors, or they are restored to the factory new condition?

Refurbs are often as good as new. If it is under warranty, don't even hesitate, send it in.

Dhn, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have very negative experience with this sort of repair (not with TomTom, but with other manufacturers) - the replacement units have always had some defects, I've never seen them restored to factory-new conditions.
So, I still thinking what to do. If somebody who has same issue and their unit is out of warranty would try and confirm that upgrade to the newer bootloader (there are 5.5122, 5.5128 and 5.5130 around there) will fix this problem - I would go to void my warranty and re-flash bootloader rather getting refurb one.

I am experiencing this problem intermittently, but when it does occur it is very unnerving.

I am not familiar with the Bootloader in the context of a TomTom GPS. Is that something that can / should be updated? How does TomTom maintain it on devices in the field (or does it not change)?

In my case the GPS application and maps are on an SD card, even with that removed it takes a couple of tries of soft reset / hold power button to get it to start up. Next time I'll try soft reset, then connect to power before trying to start it up.

I am also seeing the battery charge at about 3/4 even though the unit sits in a powered cradle most of the time and should be fully charged.

Unit works great, but this situation makes updates and backups very tricky and nerve wracking.

Still puzzled

I am the original poster with this problem. It shut down twice on me and I haven't tried since. Went on a recent long driving trip and unit continues to work perfectly, just cannot connect to computer to get GPSFix, MapShare etc hence the thing takes a long while to locate satellites when first powered up. Very interesting how the Unit shows 3/4 power charge when charged for long periods. Don't know what the problem is but it did not start right after software update, just right our of the blue. I don't een power up Unit unless attached to car power source and it works OK. No savvy on tech but this thing has pissed me off.

I am experiencing this problem intermittently
Mine shuts down every single time when connected to the computer. Tried dozens (if not hundreds) of times.

I am not familiar with the Bootloader in the context of a TomTom GPS. Is that something that can / should be updated? How does TomTom maintain it on devices in the field (or does it not change)?
It's like a BIOS on a computer. The bootloader is responsible for some low-level functionality - hardware init upon restart, access to usb, SD card, measuring the battery level, maybe something else. Sometimes the new bootloader is coming as a part of a new version of software (i.e. navcore v.8.351 includes a new bootloader v.5.5120), sometimes a new version of navcore comes up with no new bootloader (i.e. v.7.481 does not have a bootloader). You can see the bootloader and the application version if you tape lower right corner on the main screen (navigation) and then tape square gray button with the application version number on the right. If you are interested to get more details (well, it's not so much information available to the public) - I can give you some links to read. Or just use search on this forum - some time ago it was interesting discussion here.
The bootloader can be changed separately from other software on device. And - AFAIK - there are few newer bootloaders than 5.5120, they have been shipped with software for other tomtom models - like ONE or x40 (540-740-940), but should work on x20-x30 series too. If my unit would be out of warranty - I would definitely give a try to update a bootloader. Unfortunately, it is not possible to revert back to the old bootloader, you can only update it to the newer version (well, I'm pretty sure that there _should_be_ some way how to downgrade the bootloader, TomTom repair service should be able to do this, but this hack or tool has never been licked to the public yet).

In my case the GPS application and maps are on an SD card, even with that removed it takes a couple of tries of soft reset / hold power button to get it to start up. Next time I'll try soft reset, then connect to power before trying to start it up.
If your device will not come up after reset - try connect usb cable (or charger) first, then do a reset and then power the device on.

I am also seeing the battery charge at about 3/4 even though the unit sits in a powered cradle most of the time and should be fully charged.
Mine may show 100% right after charging, but the battery level goes to 3/4 very fast, in maybe several seconds, and then is staying there for a long time. It wasn't so with old bootloader - the battery level was going down evenly.

I am the original poster with this problem. It shut down...
I have read that thread and can confirm - there are absolutely the same issues with my device. Even more - it seems that beginning of the problem was absolutely the same - update to software 8.351.

I probably not suppose to be giving such kind of advise, but if I would be you and my unit would be out of warranty - I would give a try to update the bootloader. The worst thing that could happen - has already happened, the device is not working properly. The update to the newer version may or may not fix this problem, but the unit should still be working. But it's up to you - to give or not to give a try to do it.

My unit still under the warranty and I have sent it for repair just today.

Last edited:
Annoyed

:mad::mad:The bootloader is almsost certainly the problem by the sounds of things. Mine has 5.5120 just as you mentioned and heproblem started when a the new updaye was entered. If I knoew where to get a newe bootloader file, how to get it into the TT I'd give it a try, but like I said I'm not too savvy on the tech end.If the bootloader has somethingt to do with checking the battery level as you then there certainly is a link there because I can charge the TT all day long, check it before diconnecting and see that the unit os completely charged. Disconnect and immediately the battery level shows 3/4. Reconnect and the Unit shows that it is charging again. This absolutley started with the latest download. Once the unit freezes it will not respond to depressing the "reset" and start until it is connected to power, fully recharged and then the "rest" is de[ressed while connected to power source.

The bootloaders are device specific, and there's a good chance that updating it to a non-supported version will void your warranty. Always better to do warranty repair if possible.

In the past, most bootloaders worked on all Tomtoms, but lately they became device specific and caused problems on devices that they were not meant for. Normally that wouldn't be an issue, except that bootloader upgrades are irreversible, so if it breaks something you're stuck with a bricked Tomtom. Sometimes for months until Tomtom releases another bootloader upgrade, sometimes forever if Tomtom never releases another upgrade for your model.

Unfortunately, no newer bootloader is available for any GO model, beyond 5.120.

If you're willing to risk it, the next version up is 5.122. To install it, use winrar to extract this file to a blank SD card. Insert it in your Tomtom and start it up. Once the application loads, turn off the Tomtom, take out the SD card, and your bootloader will be upgraded.

Heed the warnings above - if it makes things worse (eg your Tomtom doesn't turn on at all), there's no way to undo it.

Go720 Shutting down while connected...

I also am experiencing this same phenominon after updating to the new release.

Maybe it's supposed to shut down while connected to the computer but not doing anything. Afterall, why should it stay on when it is fully charged and not doing anything anyway.

WHen I disconnect it from the computer, it does not shut down (which is a good thing!)

Could this be by design (for this new release).

THe other issue about the 3/4 battery is a nusance though, and that should be fixed. Mine is only 1 month old, and after the initial charge it never showed full after a full recharge.

Regards,

Yossi

Just to be clear here, it shouldn't shut down immediately upon connecting to your computer.

If you say "no" to the "connect to computer" prompt, the Tomtom will shut down after about 3 minutes of inactivity. The inactivity shutdown is normal functionality.

Just to be clear here, it shouldn't shut down immediately upon connecting to your computer.

If you say "no" to the "connect to computer" prompt, the Tomtom will shut down after about 3 minutes of inactivity. The inactivity shutdown is normal functionality.
That's right, if I selected "no' - it was working exactly this way. But I believe we are talking about another kind of shutting down, when the user selects "yes" and the unit shuts down almost immediately and than does not come up until reset.

mvl, I see (from your signature) that you have go720 and software 8.351 on it. What is a bootloader version, is it 5.5120? Is everything working fine on your unit? Isn't there an issue with incorrect battery level upon charging? How did you update your unit to the newer software - through TomTom Home on the device instantly or by copying everything to SD card and then updating from SD card?

2 All Guys, if anyone of you is brave enough to update the bootloader to the newer version - could you then post at forum if that helps to fix these weird issues with shutting off and battery level, please?

Last edited:
I have the 5.5120 bootloader. Everyone with app 8.350, 8.351, or 8.370 (x40 only) will have that bootloader. I had no issues with poweroff, so I didn't try an upgrade as I'd rather stay on a supported version.

Most members were successful with the 8.35x upgrade, but the shutdown issue has been reported by a number of members. I'm not sure why it only impacts some people - perhaps you had a bad bootloader download, or it doesn't like certain serial numbers. (There have been separate reports of certain 920 serial numbers getting downgraded to a GO 530 with the new bootloader)

I have the same battery meter issue since app 8.350, but I rarely use my Tomtom unplugged, so it doesn't bother me.

More angry

Well I treid to resolve this issue via TomTom Support and after 6 days they got back to me via e-mail and told me to reload TomTom Home and try again. Good grief. I sent them a very detailed reply as to why i (and others) believed the probem was with the 5.5120 bootlader and asked for a bootloader file that I could put on an SD card, insert and startup, hoping to overwrite the faulty file. Waited 4 days, got an automated reply saying they never got any response to their original suggestion so they consider the file closed. Honestly this company does not deserve further effort to contact them. Too bad that they assume your a fool, disregard everything you tell them and roll out the simplified simple responses that you already told them don't work and then, when it appears that they can't resolve the issue (caused by them) they simply give you the essential "Thanks for calling..have a nice day", click. Too bad I have 5 of these units for myself, wife and all three daughters. When they pooch out, time to slect a new vendor.
:mad:

topper51,

Many people have reported that email support is relatively useless. Some even suspect that have a robot scan for common words and reply with the closest FAQ.

Try calling them, you'll get better results. They will probably warranty-replace it.

I'll go ahead an add myself to the list of those experiencing the "turn off" phenomonon. Had me scared for a little while, as I had also just updated to the latest map and suddenly my Go720 was turning off after the splash screen. It appears that it didn't like the mapsettings.cfg that I restored from the previous map. Add in this turn off when connecting to the PC...I thought my GPS was really messed up. I was relieved to find others with the same problem. I guess I'll just have to remember to do a reset just prior to hooking it up to the PC from now on.

My TomTom Go 720 is also having exactly the same symptoms described by many on this thread. It shuts down and brick itself if either I:

- Try to connect it to a computer and answer "YES" to the "Connect to TomTom Home" question
- Try to insert an SD card
- Sometimes even when I press the RESET button alone

After that It's an annoying process to try to boot the device again. I have to do a soft-reset and wait for almost 30 minutes before the TomTom is able to boot again.

I'm annoyed by the fact that I bough this unit based on TomTom's reputation and now it doesn't work properly and TomTom don't issue a bugfix for a bug users are reporting for months.

I have two Tomtom's, and so I was "brave" and did some trial and error and found an irreversible modification that "fixed" the problem on one of them.

Warning - this process is irreversible, could cause other problems, and voids the Tomtom warranty. If your Tomtom is in warranty just have it warranty-swapped if you have the bug and DON'T do the steps below. If it's out of warranty then you can try this, but it's entirely at your own risk.

Use winrar to open this file, and copy the file "system" onto your Tomtom drive. Then power off then on your Tomtom. The fix worked for me two days ago, and so far I haven't had any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question