Should I go back to a Garmin?

Hello,

I just picked up a TomTom 510 today after returning a Garmin Streetpilot C330. The reason for the swap was I wanted to have more info on the map screen (ETE/ETA/Speed/Time etc.), and the TomTom Map screen does a better job showing street names and will show POI Icons on the map as I go.

Driving around a bit today I found a few things I do like about the TomTom. On highways it will show you what road an exit is for right at the map entrance. It shows all the street names as you approach them, and quite a few on the map at once, vs the Streetpilot only show a few when zoomed in and only when they would fit due to the large font it used.

However reading this forum it seems that the TeleAtlas data being used isn't all that great, and that new updated maps are even worse. Is this true, or is this more of a problems in local areas thing? I noticed that some new roads in my area aren't in either the TomTom 510 (maps are 660 or something like that) or the Garmin Streetpilot C330 (CityNavigator NT V8 maps). So neither trumps each other there. The TomTom shows the built up areas around me, and shows the water around me in much higher detail (the shorelines and width of the big river near me vs just a vector line in the Navteq data on the Garmin). However I noticed that some small roads, such as the one relatives live on near Marmora, On are in the Garmin db and not the TomTom.

The Garmin POI database seemed a bit better, and was more organized and accessible, and mroe accurate. For example in my local city I typed in to search for the nearest McDonalds. The Garmin has it in the proper spot afaik, but the TomTom wanted me to go south 5km when I knew I had to go north, it was directing me to a completely wrong spot.

Overall I find the TomTom gives me more control and info, while the Garmin was very organized and easy to use.

So should I stick with the TomTom or go back to the Garmin? Any advice?

I just got my Go 510 as well, and I noticed too that the new version of the maps is worse than the previous version. In my area, some streets were deleted that are still there and also, the lakes in my area were removed for some reason. Also, many POI's aren't in the right spots and some of the POI's have been gone for years now.

I'll still keep my GO 510 and assume things will get better after hearing a lot of complaints. So let's hope for the best.

I don't think you comparing fairly though.
Been an "ex" owner of C330 and TomTom 510, I will definitely pick TT510!!!!

Garmin C330 using older interface + 4 year old GPS chip (non-SiRF III) + OVER PRICED!!!!

If you are comparing TT510 vs Nuvi 200, then I might suggest you otherwise.
TT510 does everything beautifully, except few major issues.

1. Screen display. (it is really hard to read the map in sunny day - Not even direct sun light)
2. Lack of final direction warning.
ex, "reach designation at 300 yard" without telling to my RIGHT or LEFT.
Bare in mind, most streets has two way traffic!!
3. It is kinda bulky, only way I can mount it "beautifully" is on my windshield. But then if I go to California, I will have to hold it w/ my hand.

That is not saying Nuvi 200 is perfect.
1. it only come w/ City Navigator 2008 (48 states)
ex. Version 8 already outdated.
2008 is the newest version w/ 6 million POI that come w/ Nuvi 2xx series.
2. it doesn't come w/ bluetooth. ( it doesn't bother me, since my car command comes w/ bluetooth)

What I decided to drop TT510 for Nuvi 200 is because:

1. Nuvi 2xx series come w/ the best xbright screen that you can even read it under DIRECT sunshine!!! ( yes, even better than Nuvi 3XX and 6XX)
2. Battery life per charge last more than 4hours!!! (you will be lucky to get 100 min off TT1)
3. Ultra slim and portable that I can get universal cell phone mount to install on my car w/out looking ugly. (best of all, much closer to reach the screen)

Anyway, if you are deciding between C330 vs TT510. Do yourself a favor, just stay w/ TT510.
________
AshleyY cam

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 357
  • front 1.JPG
    front 1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
I did notice the 510 picked up the satellites much quicker than the C330. The "arriving at destination on left/right" was nice on the garmin, but I find the TT510 does show on the map which side its on anyways.

The C330 screen was much easier to read in sunlight at 50% brightness than the TT510 is at 100%, though the TT is still readable.

Thanks for the advice, I figure I may as well give the TT a few days of use before I decide.

Well the TomTom definately doesn't know much about the roads in my area. The Garmin would always direct me around the quickest route, using the out of town 80km/h road instead of sending me through town as the TomTom does. Going to my work at the farm the TomTom had no clue what to do for time to destination, for a 2 min drive it said it would take 14, then once I turned onto the road (which is gravel, not shown as that on the Tom Tom where the Garmin knew it was) it just said 0 minutes.

Regarding the small road that the TT doesn't have but the Garmin does:

Could you give me the latitude/longitude of where it should be so I can check it on a couple of different versions of TomTom maps that I have.

-----------------------

And just a general comment on the maps/routing problems in general. We always test out a unit in an area we are familiar with. As locals, we always know the best routes, and are critical of the GPS for not having as good a knowledge.

But you are not going to use the GPS for getting around the places you already know. You're just playing with it for now. It's for when you are off in strange cities, and quite frankly, you just want to arrive. Whether you are routed down a slightly less efficient road makes little difference. Just try going to, say, New York City for the first time and you will bless your GPS, whichever brand you have.

Regarding the small road that the TT doesn't have but the Garmin does:

Could you give me the latitude/longitude of where it should be so I can check it on a couple of different versions of TomTom maps that I have.
[/quote}

Just for the fun of it.
My friend live at following address for more than 2years. ( sorry, can't tell you the apartment number. haha...)

9742 NE 119th Way, Kirkland WA 98034

My recently retired TT510 w/ newest map can't find it.
________
SexyMolly live

Last edited:
I had a chance to use Garmin C320 (which is the same as the C330), no way it could equal the Go510.
Yes, the POI & map is a bit better, but the navigation is sometimes unreliable.
It sometimes go crazy for no reason (Recalculation, recalculation ... non stop, while a few minutes earlier it told me to go straight on for 15km or so).
If you leave a route in the middle it will try to route you back to the same point, once or twice before listening to you.
If you get used to that kind of driving (TomTom's on the fly routing) you can not like a Garmin.

Ask a Question