Which post code file should I use?

TomTom Model(s)
When installing the latest Western & Central European maps (v 900), on my 920, I was offered two different post code files, both covering the UK, Netherlands and Singapore. One file was 8.9Mb and the other 1.9Mb; (an enormous difference).

Which file should I install, and what is so different that one file is over 4 times the size of the other?.

Are you sure that they really did cover both areas?

FWIW, the last post codes I downloaded (for map 900) came out to these sizes, when unzipped and installed on the device:

Great_Britain.postal = 8,968KB
Nederland.postal = 1,942KB

Looks like the two file sizes you mentioned.

The confusion is probably down to the slapdash way they describe things in Home (i.e. using the same description for both), but once you have the files themselves in front of you, it all becomes obvious.

attachment.php

The UK file is a slightly different size to the one that canderson gives, but they are from a fresh download today from the direct download URLs.

EDIT: Corrected now, see later posts

But judging by the dates of the UK files they are still the v895 ones
(The original ones they offered for download with the v900 maps were corrupted, so they hastily pushed out the v895 ones as a "quick fix" and it looks like they haven't bothered to update it again since then).

I think you've already had an answer to this over at PGPSW too...:)

Attachments

• Zip_Folder_contents_v900.jpg
    Zip_Folder_contents_v900.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Mine appear to be the 900 versions, Andy. Never received any update to what came with this map.

Attachments

• Post Codes.jpg
    Post Codes.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 399
Hmmm.... How were they delivered to you, via Home or by a direct download link?

Via Home along with the regular map update to 900.

Belay that... I was clicking from my master Word doc of links...
The link TEXT I had in it was for v900 but the underlying link was still for v895 :lol:

Just re-downloaded and I agree with your filesize now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Zip_Folder_contents_v900.jpg
    Zip_Folder_contents_v900.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 515

Ask a Question