Should be simple - Via 1505TM or Start 55TM?

I'm not sure why TomTom makes it SO difficult to compare models! Or is it me?

Anyways, does anyone have a recommendation between the 1505TM or Start 55TM models? Any reason to avoid either (or both)?

Many thanks for your time...

The Start 55 is on the old platform meaning it's a Nav 2 device using Home and the user has access to the file system.

The 1505 is a Nav 3 device meaning the user does not have access to the file system

The 1505 has a slot for a micro sd card for additional maps. Thing the 55 does not have that.

The Start 55 has a reduced menu, I think for some fewer options but I think it DOES have true Itinerary Planning (48 waypoints), the 1505 does not (just 4 points and itinerary can't be saved)

I have the Start 50M,it is not even listed on TOMTOM's site and very hard to find any info at all. Is the 50M the same as the 55M?

? They're both 5" units, aren't they? With the 40/45 pair being the 4.3"?

When these first came out (and several times since) I've tried to sort what's different about a 50 vs. 55, and a 40 vs. 45, and still can't figure it out. The only real difference I've found is in the price, and that's inexplicable!

I'm not sure why TomTom makes it SO difficult to compare models! Or is it me?

Anyways, does anyone have a recommendation between the 1505TM or Start 55TM models? Any reason to avoid either (or both)?

Many thanks for your time...

I'll make it simple for you. I just purchased this one factory refurbished off eBay from Tigerdirect. Came with lifetime maps and traffic. If you order this one you will have to call TomTom to get the lifetime maps to renew as the code given will show expired. $70 for this brand new unit is a steal. It's the GO Live 1535TM (Not Just M but TM) It has the traffic receiver antenna charger. You also have the option for the live services as well. Also it has the SD slot for additional storage. The maps are Canada, U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico. This is their flagship model currently and still retails at BestBuy for $229.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TomTom-Go-L...0965267499?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item35c69a4c2b

I too wondered about the difficulty discerning the different models. Finally decided on biggest possible screen size. That much I could understand. Via 1605tm was the only show in town.:)

When you see the Via 1605's screen, I think you'll be amazed. Rather than just increase the size (as we done when moving from 4.3 to 5" screens), this one also has higher resolution, and perhaps the most transparent resistive touch screen I've ever seen, so it's brighter than most of the others as well. I'd LOVE to have seen a Live version of this one, but looks like that won't be happening. It could easily have become my favorite 'daily driver'.

? They're both 5" units, aren't they? With the 40/45 pair being the 4.3"?

When these first came out (and several times since) I've tried to sort what's different about a 50 vs. 55, and a 40 vs. 45, and still can't figure it out. The only real difference I've found is in the price, and that's inexplicable!

Start 45 and 55 have maps of USA&Canada.

Start 40 and 50 have maps of USA only.

That's weird. They're all 2GB units.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I'll add it to my unit notes before I forget.

Do you think there's any chance you'll have any spare time to update the excel model guide, mvl, or does someone else need to take over the project maybe?

Edit: It would be great if we could somehow get it into a format where it was viewable directly on the forum and to be easily updatable by any of the mods. Any thoughts anyone, or @Ian?

I've fiddled the list a bit over time for my own use, but haven't fully kept it up to date. As you know, I have that 'other list' that is more complete in terms of models, but certainly nowhere near complete in terms of features.

We talked a long time ago with our previous master about the code required to convert an Excel file to something more usable online. If I recall, the issue was one of doing the equivalent of an Excel 'freeze' on the left column and top row such that the user would be able to see those while scrolling around. I don't think we ever came up with a solution to that.

Spare time? Doubt it.

What's more concerning is that it appears Tomtom is doing hardware changes without rebranding the devices. The new vs old have identical features, but I suspect they are reacting to and/or optimizing their component supply chain.

For example, I'm sure the XL550 had a pin reset when first released, I saw a demo model myself in a store. Then someone here posts that the pin doesn't exist in a recent purchase.

Haven't ever heard of an XL550 with pin reset, nor a USB 2.0 interface ... couple of things we might want to revise some time.

I keep a comprehensive model list, but don't have all of the details you were able to put into your chart. Where were you gathering them all?

Ask a Question