825 or 1005 which should i buy tomorrow?

Hiya guys.
Have had a 730t now for 3 years.Very happy with it but, has developed connection probs?
Have to pinch out lead about 1mm to get it to charge. And will not conect to my tomtom whatever i try to do.
So i wish to buy a new top model from tomtom but, whats with all these bad reports on the 825 and 1005!!!
I am going to italy shortly and want to use a new model. but if these reports? are true, should i try another sat nav. Your opinions appreciated/

So where are you located? Italy? Seriously, I had to peek at your IP address to know where to start, since what TomTom offers varies considerably by country.

OK - having peeked, I see you are closer to Birmingham (UK) than you are to Palermo (Italy). So I assume the choice is between the GO Live 825 Europe and the GO Live 1005 Europe. As for bad reports, there are bad reports on all models, and neither of these are particularly problematic units.

Good news is that both avoid the dreaded EasyMenu structure. Most of us don't really like that design. Both carry enough internal memory (4GB) to manage the full Western Europe map, and it sounds like that might be important to you. If, at some point down the road, you found it necessary to add more memory, I believe that the 1005 does NOT have an external uSD slot (I am prepared to be corrected on that), while the 825 does have a slot, so you could conceivably drop in a full 8GB card some day if you find you want to add yet more maps. The mount and connector schemes are quite different -- I'll let one of the UK members chime in on what they think of the two. I'd prefer the 1005 mount if it isn't fidgity.

The rest of the features are very similar. So it may come down to price for you. The 825 will set you back just at 200 sterling. The 1005 is consistently more expensive, typically to the tune of about an additional £30~40 or so. If I were choosing between the two, I would probably go with the 825 on price alone since most of the rest is so similar.

Note that, on Amazon.co.uk at least, the Go Live 1005 World is cheaper than the Go Live 1005 EU. (World is 299, currently reduced to 238; EU is 269, currently reduced to 253)

I know, mad isn't it!

As well as giving you World maps instead of just EU, the 1005 World is the later model with 8Gb of internal memory and the SD slot. Although I am not sure if the slot is addressed by the current release of software, I am betting they didn't put it in there for nothing.

I have the Go Live 1005 World, and am happy with my purchase.

@Chris_M
Good spot. Heck of a deal if he can get the World cheaper!

Ask a Question