Should I change to Garmin from the One 130?

And WHY would I want to do that, you ask?

Well, I really like our TomTom's (One 130 and One 130S) compact size and VERY compact mounting flange. And they are pretty easy to use and figure out the menus.

ON THE OTHER HAND, there are a couple of things that drive me batty:

1) Slow to boot (mostly I'm using the one unit, and I'll admit, maybe it needs an update, but it's really bad. Advice?)

2) I want to find POIs WITHOUT knowing the town. Can a Garmin do this? For instance, Chaco Culture National Historic Park in New Mexico. It is not near any town at all! How am I supposed to know what town to input?

3) No stopover function: sometimes I want to take a route through a specific point. OR can I and I just don't know it? Or need a different TomTom model?

4) No "prefer highways" function: I really miss that from previous GPS units.

#2 especially is a killer for me, it is really basic for road trips and very hard to get around.

1) Slow to boot (mostly I'm using the one unit, and I'll admit, maybe it needs an update, but it's really bad. Advice?)

The Tomtom 130 has sleep mode, and wakes up pretty quickly. But after a week off it will fully shutdown. The full shutdown takes a while to start up. You know you've had a full shutdown if you hear drums when the Tomtom turns on. If you get the full shutdown and it hasn't been a week, post back as something is wrong and we can probably find a way to fix it.

2) I want to find POIs WITHOUT knowing the town. Can a Garmin do this? For instance, Chaco Culture National Historic Park in New Mexico. It is not near any town at all! How am I supposed to know what town to input?

For most National Parks, just type them as if they were a town. They should show up that way.

Otherwise, as long as you pick a town that's within about 25 miles, a POI will show up on the list.

3) No stopover function: sometimes I want to take a route through a specific point. OR can I and I just don't know it? Or need a different TomTom model?

The 130 can do this. Tap menu -> find alternative -> travel via

4) No "prefer highways" function: I really miss that from previous GPS units.

I don't believe Tomtoms do this. On newer models, IQroutes is much better at finding the fastest route (eg avoiding stoplights, etc), and you really don't need to customize your route that much.

Ask a Question