SD Card from Amazon

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One version 2
I bought an SD card from Amazon with maps of Central Europe (Germany, Switzerland, etc). I thought it would be just a simple matter of putting it into the slot on my Tomtom One Version 2. Not so simple. When the TomTom restarts itself, I get a screen showing I should take out the card and it has a red "X" on the card. I have connected to TT home, and been able to access the maps using the SD slot on my computer, now how do I get it to work on the TT.
I'll be going to Germany soon and would love to use my GPS there.

Link to Picture of SD card being rejected.

Last edited:
You can try to copy everything to the sd card where the map is, including application files, voices, etc. Then boot up your unit and see if the map is recognized.

But, I have my doubts that will work since maps are locked to a specific device. They used to be sold on sd cards in Europe for European models but no longer.

So, if what I suggested doesn't work, the only way I know is to buy the appropriate map from TomTom using Home, download it and install on a sd card you provide

Interesting. I thought the card slot was for a card. I didn't scam the card, I bought it. It says TomTom all over it, I even have a Product Code to input, if I can ever get to that place. It's just a bit confusing.

Tomtom used to sell map cards a few years ago, but now use different technology and require all map purchases to be done via HOME.

Try calling (don't bother emailing) tomtom support, if you plead your case they may end up giving you a free map via home, or they may find some way of activating the SD-card map your purchased. Just realize that you probably bought a 2-year-old map, much newer/better ones are available.

I'm not too concerned about the map being two years old, it is a map of Germany and not much changes over there.
It seems that I might be able to load the map from Home, but I will need to remove my US maps, otherwise there is not enough room on the TT One version two. I suppose I could do that before I fly to Germany, but I'm not sure I will be able to reload the US map when I get back. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

You might try this make an explored backup of the card if you arn't sure how to do this click here.

Then format your card with your computer then put the formated card in your unit and connect to home and let home recognize your unit with the card in it then copy your backup back to the card.
Not sure if this will work but worth a try.

Ask a Question