Rip off?

TomTom Model(s)
iPhone app on 3GS for Western Europe
Joe Elliot's query below about a new software version in US/Canada highlighted the TT price difference between there and the UK:

US/Canada (area 7 million sq miles): 23.99 GB pounds (GBP 3.42 per million sq miles)
UK (area 94 thousand sq miles): 39.99 GB pounds (GBP 425 per million sq miles!)

Of course, one might say the economies of scale in the US/Canada mean the prices can be much lower, so let's do a population comparison for Europe wide coverage. (OK, I've compared using figures for the EU, and I've used actual population since I don't know TT population so it's all going to be very approximate)

Pop US/Canada: 342 million
Pop EU: 500 million (with an area of 1.7 million sq miles)

Cost of European version? 59.99 GBP.

It seems the whole of Europe is being ripped off.

But then, the opposition is even worse. Cost of CoPilot Live USA: GBP 2.99; Europe GBP 37.99!

What's really needed is a lot more competition in Europe. That would end this scam.

Well, i believe size of the app is actually a better measure as it is directly related to the amount of information it contains:
U.S. and Canada: 1.5GB
TomTom Europe: 1.8GB

For my recent trip I considered downloading TomTom New Zealand (212MB).
But I refused to pay $69.99 price tag for a 3-week jaunt.

That said, I cannot blame TomTom. If they can sell enough apps with current pricing because of perceived value, more power to them (Economics 101).

Ask a Question