Ripped off by last second currency conversion

Has anyone else been duped to the tune of AUD40 by a last minute currency exchange on the tomtom home ordering page?

Firstly, I live in New Zealand. I received an email informing me I was able to purchase a discounted tomtom map and 6 map updates for the price of AUD109.60. Which is fine, most international online ordering systems work in AUD as the NZD is just too little to bother with.

Thinking great idea, I logged into tomtom home, clicked through the shop added the updated map and 6 updates to my basket for a total of AUD109.60. Click purchase, it then gives you a "order overview" page where you CONFIRM your order and agree to the tomtom terms and conditions, this screen still shows AUD109.60. Then after your conformation, on the screen when you are entering your credit card details, the language changes to Dutch, and amongst all the dutch text the currency changes to Euro, and you are suddenly "agreeing" to purchasing these products at 100.75

I was duped into this, and when I complained to tomtom, they say "records show that you have registered under a Europe Account therefore it will charge you in Euro's".

In that case, why did I receive an email showing AUD and all the ordering system is in AUD right up until the last second when they hide the real cost and currency in the dutch text?

I live in NZ, I bought the device in NZ, and my settings on the tomtom page, show my location as NZ.

Does anyone else agree that this is not quite right?

And on the acceptance screen it is definitely still AUD (I have screenshots), then why are they refusing to refund the difference?

:mad:

These are underhanded tactics, and should hardly be accepted from a international company such as tomtom.

For others sake, I hope this has not happened to you, if it has, leave a comment below.

Welcome to TTF and, sadly, welcome to the rip-off club, Pattym. :eek:

We in Canada get nailed the same way. Prices we see for maps are in US dollars but at the very end of the process, the payment goes through Dutch servers and we get stuck with a 20% VAT tax (which I expect caught you as well).

It's not the conversion to Euros from US dollars that is the issue, it's the non-refundable 20% tax.

Further, it's my personal feeling that TomTom charges too much for both your Kiwi map and the map of Australia .... from personal experience. When you look at my signature line, you'll see that I bought a NZ map and yes, wound up paying at a Dutch server.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad others also have a dimmer view on the tomtom purchasing practices.

But here is the worst thing, I have a friend that got the same tomtom (purchased within the same month) received the same email, has the same settings on TTH, (also lives in NZ), and he managed to finish the sale in AUD. So for some reason, he paid AUD109.60, for the same service that I paid EURO100.75 (~145AUD). There really is no explanation as to the difference.

Log into TomTom (NZ) with your email address/password registered for the model you have.

Then, click on My Account and Edit My Profile.

Make sure the country is indeed NZ as your country.

I have just checked, and it is definitely set to New Zealand.
(all the ads after logging in come up in AUD as well)

I will email tomtom once more providing the screen shots and stating my case, then I think I will lay a complaint with the NZ consumer organization.

I was about to be ripped off on the change in currency as well! I am set to New Zealand and on TomTom home software it offered Australian maps at NZD $99.95. When I get to the point of credit card charge it changes the proce to AUD $99.95 which is around another $30!
What a total rip off! I'm fairly sure its illegal in NZ to advertise a price and then change it at the checkout as well. A great way to rip people off.
I agree with pattym, time for a complaint to the commerce commission or TV's fairgo.

Ask a Question