ripped off by tom tom

i just paid ?35 for a USA upload on to my Tom Tom XL, then I find to load it on to my machine I have to delete the whole of western europe to create space. Anyone know if i can get my money back?

i just paid ?35 for a USA upload on to my Tom Tom XL, then I find to load it on to my machine I have to delete the whole of western europe to create space. Anyone know if i can get my money back?

As per instructions you would easily find on this website elsewhere, you would be better off taking the back up of the entire contents of the Tom Tom internal storage and then you can follow the instructions they tell you.

From what I have read about the storage space constraints on the Tom Tom devices, you would probably need to delete some maps as per their instructions. That is one of the reasons why I have bought the device which already has the maximum amount of maps already installed on it - the 940 series rather than 740 series which would have done just as well at a lower price for me - as I am in the UK now. But 940 has more built in storage space - but I am told even I might have to delete some stuff of the internal storage space to install latest maps for USA etc.

The problem lies with the way in which Tom Tom markets its devices - they give you lower priced products but also after cutting down on features which would not be pointed out to you, then there is the premium you would usually pay if the model is the latest one and hence supposed to be greatest - often it is not the greatest - but simply the most expensive.

Sorry about all the ranting - but as a buyer of Tom Tom we have very little choice once we already decide upon the model we want to buy.

The 940 also offers the capability of a MicroSD card up to 32GB in capacity so storage space really isn't an issue, the XL on the other hand is a different animal, early XL units had an SD card/ SD card slot so you could have the European maps on one card and the North American maps on another (along with all the other required files/ folders for the device to work).
The newer units don't have this capability so you are stuck with transfering maps to/ from the computer each time you cross the "pond" - Mike

Tomtom win - you lose

I've had exactly the same issue. Tomtom are very happy to sell you the maps but refuse to tell you how to preserve the ones already on the tomtom. Inviting you to delete them is extremely unhelpful.
In hidsight, what you (and I) should have done was backup the original europe map and altered the "backup"folder name to something like "backup europe" and then move it onto the desktop. Then install USA map. back up the usa map and likewise, rename that. You should then be able to restore the maps you have already paid for by renaming the relevent folder to "backup" and putting it back in the tomtom folder.
Tomtom do not care that you are having problems - they have your money and they will not give you it back. I'm going to have to rebuy the europe map I already have simply to get the activation code.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.....Tomtom start by assuming all computer users are crooked hackers and pirates - why disappoint?

I've had exactly the same issue. Tomtom are very happy to sell you the maps but refuse to tell you how to preserve the ones already on the tomtom. Inviting you to delete them is extremely unhelpful.

Well, to be completely honest that is a slightly unfair comment. Tom Tom do tell you to take backups etc - the Home software also has an option to do that. Now, those of us "in the know"; know that the backup done by the Home software may prove to be inadequate in some circumstances - but Tom Tom does give you that feature. And then again for every one else who is not a computer wizard, but is a member of this forum, the FAQs and Sticky Messages and so on on this forum give you detailed instructions to do the full back up and insist that every one does do them.

Now, those of us "in the know"; know that the backup done by the Home software may prove to be inadequate in some circumstances - but Tom Tom does give you that feature. And then again for every one else who is not a computer wizard, but is a member of this forum, the FAQs and Sticky Messages and so on on this forum give you detailed instructions to do the full back up and insist that every one does do them.
As I knew everything would be completely new to me, I subscribed to several forums and read at least 1000 posts before I actually received my TomTom.
All of them, the English, English language Dutch and this forum kept/keep on emphasising the importance to make computer back ups, out of the box, and not rely on HOME back ups.
That emphasis is being repeated every time a new map comes out or if someone asks about upgrading.

I surely don't have many good words to say about the eMail solutions of the TomTom Support team but I still post support questions, to have a written record on file, and follow up with a phone call.
I do not blame TomTom for problems due to my own ignorance.

Drive by poster

lotsa good advise wasted because of these one post wonders
Yeah - I get the feeling that those who have provided all of the good information have been left holding "des baggie".:p

Well, to be completely honest that is a slightly unfair comment. Tom Tom do tell you to take backups etc - the Home software also has an option to do that. Now, those of us "in the know"; know that the backup done by the Home software may prove to be inadequate in some circumstances - but Tom Tom does give you that feature. And then again for every one else who is not a computer wizard, but is a member of this forum, the FAQs and Sticky Messages and so on on this forum give you detailed instructions to do the full back up and insist that every one does do them.
Thank you for a very straight forward and easy to understand answer, not all of us who want to be able to use a GPS are computer whiz's and understand all the computer language. I have an 335TM and have been afraid to do anything regarding updating the maps for fear I would clear every thing out. Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I think Tomtom GPS is a fantastic tool. This doesn't mean that they are a company that is beyond criticism. I happen to think that if a fraction of the money that they spend on marketing was spent on providing an honest user interface then discussion forums like this would have a lot less traffic. For instance Tomtom "home" recognises that I have "Western Europe" on my computer. When I try to "Add Maps" it will list the USA map I have on my Tomtom but invites me to "buy" the Western Europe map online. If the bought USA map is deleted from the device it will recognise that it is on the computer and allow me to put it on the Tomtom for free. Presumably it will not recognise the Western Europe map because it was embedded on the Tomtom when I bought it (rather than bought online). This must have happened to hundreds of customers and I reckon it's a simple fix. Similarly, why do Tomtom say "you can make one backup per navigation device. A new backup will replace your previous backup"? Why can't I have a whole series of backups (like restore points in windows)? Tomtom either cannot be bothered giving customers this useful utility or they simply want to maximize revenue by encouraging people to buy maps online.
This is a very useful forum and thanks to all who have helped me with my Tomtom. The point is, if Tomtom had a more user friendly and honest interface I wouldn't have to rely on sites such as this.

The single back up is a "feature" of TomTom Home, if you want multiple back ups that can be trusted simply use Windows Explorer for the back ups, personally I wouldn't trust Home for anything as important as a back up because its crap software - Plain and simple - Mike

The single back up is a "feature" of TomTom Home, if you want multiple back ups that can be trusted simply use Windows Explorer for the back ups, personally I wouldn't trust Home for anything as important as a back up because its crap software - Plain and simple - Mike

I had this backup taken by the HOME software - I had done this before I had allowed the HOME to upgrade my 940 to the so called new Navcore.

When I found that this new version of Navcore had many issues, I wanted to roll back and I tried the 'Restore' option under HOME.

But surprise, surprise - the HOME software told me that there was a problem with the backup and it could not be restored.

It is quite possible that the new Navcore uses a slightly different file system layout or so and the old backup is not compatible with this one.

The lesson is - if I hadn't had a full backup which I had taken outside the HOME software, I would have been in a mess. Luckily for me I had taken a full backup of everything on the device using my Linux machine and hence was saved. I believe if I had taken a full Explorer backup under Windows I would have been similarly lucky.

With or without a backup its still easy to roll back the Navcore to a previous version:

1/ You ask how on the forum
2/ Someone replies with a Link to Navcore 8,371 for the Go-940 (Click Here)
3/ You download it
4/ Extract the download straight to the device using WinRar
5/ Go to the pub and enjoy a beer, happy with the result.

As you can see you don't need a backup of the device to mess around with the Navcore version, another option is to use Home to install the 8,371 version, this is how TomTom would advise to roll it back (see Here) my personal preference is to use the method outlined at the start of this post - Mike

Ask a Question