Why the big difference in price (or who's ripping me off)

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330 S
Hi,
I live in New Zealand.
I purchased a Tomtom XL330S while in the USA, it was either that or rent one for two weeks at US$70 a week. It worked fine and I am very pleased with it.

Alas I would like to buy a New Zealand map now that I have returned home. They are US$65 from the Tomtom site if you live in the US. But I can't as the Tomtom site keeps referring me back to the New Zealand site.

From the NZ site a New Zealand Map costs US$116 (yes - US$51 more than can be got from the US Tomtom site).

I've tried different ways and methods of purchasing through the US Tomtom site but it rejects my payments.

So who is trying to rip me off an additional US$51 for one of the smallest maps they sell.!

Do they really want to drive away customers that badly?

It might be time for me to buy a NAVMAN.

Mate, I feel your pain.

When I needed to buy a NZ map for my 720 last year so that my wife could use it when doing business there, I was forced to buy it and go through Dutch servers that nailed me for an additional 20% VAT. Was over 70 Euros or well over $100 Canadian.

They do it because they CAN do it. :(

It was only a month ago that TomTom allowed Canadians to actually buy NorthAmerican or European maps at a relatively fair price. If I wanted a Kiwi map today, I'd still be forced to deal with the Dutch servers.

All you can do is complain to TomTom or show your displeasure by letting your $$$$ do the talking ... elsewhere.

When I needed to buy a NZ map for my 720 last year so that my wife could use it when doing business there, I was forced to buy it and go through Dutch servers that nailed me for an additional 20% VAT. Was over 70 Euros or well over $100 Canadian.

Did you ever consider contacting the European Commission?
As far as I am concerned, I feel TomTom is charging VAT fraudulently.
They sell the goods, shipping them directly to an address outside of the coverage of their national tax laws, as is born out by the address that must be provided to accept Credit Card billing.

Maybe a note to Ellen Roseman (e-mail address removed) may do the trick.
I know it's not your paper but she is very good

I sent Tomtom the following question:

I wish to purchase the New Zealand map for my Tomtom XL 330S. The Map on the US Site is currently US$65 but on the New Zealand site (Australian site in reality) it is AUD$130 (US$116).

1. Why is there such a large difference in value for the same thing?
2. Why can't I purchase from the US site to save myself money?

I got back the following Corporate B/S:

Prices are worked out locally using the current foreign exchange rates at that time, it would not be feasible to change the price every time
the exchange rates go up or down.

Unfortunately our systems will not allow you to purchase products/services from out side your region, I have passed some feedback on so hopefully in time these prices can be changed to reflect current exchange rates.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

A difference of 45% is not due to fluctuating exchange rates. What an insult to my intelligence. Its no wonder people pirate maps. Why would I want to pay the price of a new Tomtom (XL340 US$117 on Amazon) just for a small map?

Finally we had some move on the price of maps.
I'd like to think it was my gripes but I doubt it. But if your reading this Tomtom employees : Thanks for listening.

I purchased the map almost straight away once I found out the price had been dropped to that comparable to the USA site. I considered it a fair price for the New Zealand map. I hope they will keep up with the reasonable prices.

Price for me was now US$74 cheaper by US$42 very compare able tot the US site price of US$65 (Australia has VAT which probably accounts for the difference).

That's good to hear. TomTom screws you and the Aussies bad enough with the price of hardware. It's nice you caught a break.

Hi,
I live in New Zealand.
I purchased a Tomtom XL330S while in the USA, it was either that or rent one for two weeks at US$70 a week. It worked fine and I am very pleased with it.

Alas I would like to buy a New Zealand map now that I have returned home. They are US$65 from the Tomtom site if you live in the US. But I can't as the Tomtom site keeps referring me back to the New Zealand site.

From the NZ site a New Zealand Map costs US$116 (yes - US$51 more than can be got from the US Tomtom site).

I've tried different ways and methods of purchasing through the US Tomtom site but it rejects my payments.

So who is trying to rip me off an additional US$51 for one of the smallest maps they sell.!

Do they really want to drive away customers that badly?

It might be time for me to buy a NAVMAN.
I have noticed the same, at the moment.
Australian maps $99.95 bought in Australia.
Australian maps bought in America $79.95
Yet the Aussie Dollar is worth more than the American Dollar, at the moment.
Are we being ripped off?

We feel for our NZ friends, but us brits are being ripped off all the time, with nearly everything we buy we pay more than most other country's

Ask a Question