Rider v2 pairing question

TomTom Model(s)
Rider v2
Hi all!

I recently upgraded my phone and plan to a Samsung Instinct (SPHM800) using unlimited data and voice on the Sprint network. (And don't start about Sprint, I have an outstandingly good deal - unlimited voice/data for $36.99 per month. It pays to have your best friend married to a Sprint employee.)

I had to erm..."retire" my Red Razor v3 as it had started dying after approximately 4 hours of standby and/or 30 minutes of talk time. Worked fine when I didn't have a g/f, but now that I do.... Well, lets just say that she likes to talk (which is fine, lol)

Anywhoo, the Rider v2 and the Razor liked each other just fine, but the Instinct and the Rider aren't talking. The Rider and the Instinct "see" each other, and they do attempt to pair after following the provided directions but it doesn't work.

Currently the Instinct isn't supported (I checked the tomtom compatibility website and attempted to talk to customer service/tech support, no joy) and was wondering if there was a workaround.

I have already thought of upgrading the Scala Rider that came with the tomtom to a newer unit, possibly one that supports stereo FM radio and/or MP3 playback. Would this "fix" the problem by pairing the both phone and Rider to the new headset?

Located in Gilbert Arizona, and I ride a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (I know what your thinking "Dude, can you even hear the headset anyway?":D

Not sure if my reply is of any value...but,

I too have a phone that wasnt listed on the TT site (Samsung sph300). I didnt think it would pair, even tho each item "seen" the other.

It took about 6 attempts, and finally when the phone asked for the key (0000) it worked!

So maybe give it a few more tries.

Cheers!

Hi all!

I recently upgraded my phone and plan to a Samsung Instinct (SPHM800) using unlimited data and voice on the Sprint network. (And don't start about Sprint, I have an outstandingly good deal - unlimited voice/data for $36.99 per month. It pays to have your best friend married to a Sprint employee.)

I had to erm..."retire" my Red Razor v3 as it had started dying after approximately 4 hours of standby and/or 30 minutes of talk time. Worked fine when I didn't have a g/f, but now that I do.... Well, lets just say that she likes to talk (which is fine, lol)

Anywhoo, the Rider v2 and the Razor liked each other just fine, but the Instinct and the Rider aren't talking. The Rider and the Instinct "see" each other, and they do attempt to pair after following the provided directions but it doesn't work.

Currently the Instinct isn't supported (I checked the tomtom compatibility website and attempted to talk to customer service/tech support, no joy) and was wondering if there was a workaround.

I have already thought of upgrading the Scala Rider that came with the tomtom to a newer unit, possibly one that supports stereo FM radio and/or MP3 playback. Would this "fix" the problem by pairing the both phone and Rider to the new headset?

Located in Gilbert Arizona, and I ride a 2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (I know what your thinking "Dude, can you even hear the headset anyway?":D

If you have bluetooth headset or phone and it will not pair up with your TomTom Rider2 then try this out...

http://www.nodomain.org/hififix.zip/

Unzip that to the root of the TT, reboot, run it from the menu and try to pair the device. Its effects are temporary (a reboot will get you back to normal). With my Parrot SK4000 headset I have to activate this hack every time I reboot and then the headset will link.

This application makes the TTR2 (and a bunch of other TT units more compatible with the newer Bluetooth versions, and also makes it think it has HiFi or A2DP (from what I understand). I can tell you it allowed me to keep my TomTom and not have to go out an buy a Garmin Zumo. (This application also allowed the TTR2 to pair up to a T-Mobile G1 phone, which is can not see without the application) The software loads quick, and it is seemless in the backround once you load it from the menu.

I bet this would even allow you to pair up your TTR2 to a Bluetooth Car Stereo Head Unit.

Hope this helps!
Tom

Last edited:
Not a "hack", but maybe rather a "compatibility application" since "Hack" would be breaking the rules for what you can post on the forum? ;)

Thank you Thom, I corrected that above post to reflect that. Yes, you are correct. It is an application that falls within the limits of not breaking the rules. There is nothing within it that I have found that breaks their code. Sorry for using the term ha*k, guess I am just used to things being called that when people modify stuff. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Sorry for using the term ha*k, guess I am just used to things being called that when people modify stuff. Sorry about that.

Don't apologize to me... Heck, I downloaded it "just in case". I've got a Blackberry that I've yet to try to sync to it. I just hate to see something worth while be removed because of the description...

Heck, you should see my house. The "Handyman" (I hate using that term with him, but it was his business) we bought it from was a HACK...

I do not know if this is related but I'm having the problem of pairing my TT2 with a Scala Rider Q2. When I tried to pair, it locked onto my phone but not the headset. Q2 is in the bluetooth section of the unit but not pairing. I even tried the forementioned download w/no luck any other ideas Please ?

I do not know if this is related but I'm having the problem of pairing my TT2 with a Scala Rider Q2. When I tried to pair, it locked onto my phone but not the headset. Q2 is in the bluetooth section of the unit but not pairing. I even tried the forementioned download w/no luck any other ideas Please ?
I would check with Cardo... I have a Cardo Scala Rider FM (the same thing as a Q2 without being sold in a pair, but can still pair up with another Q2) and it works fine, and that was prior to the the file I had suggested the other guy download. Did you run the program from the menu once it was installed onto the TTR2 and then retried the pairing sequence? I noticed that some times when doing an initial pairing I needed to have both objects as close to one another (this is with bluetooth in general) and than I was able to space them out once the pairing was done.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I also am having trouble getting my TomTom 930 to talk with my Q2. I tried to follow your advice, but I think my computer expertise are not up to following your instructions. Where exactly is the "root" on the TomTom where I should save the unzipped data? Rebooting the TT means putting a pen into the little hole next to the USB charging slot - I don't figure how that gets the data from the computer to the TT? Running the TT from the menu means running it using the computer with TT-Home?

I'd be very greatfull for any further advice.

Thanks, Nick

If you have bluetooth headset or phone and it will not pair up with your TomTom Rider2 then try this out...

http://www.nodomain.org/hififix.zip/

Unzip that to the root of the TT, reboot, run it from the menu and try to pair the device. Its effects are temporary (a reboot will get you back to normal). With my Parrot SK4000 headset I have to activate this hack every time I reboot and then the headset will link.

This application makes the TTR2 (and a bunch of other TT units more compatible with the newer Bluetooth versions, and also makes it think it has HiFi or A2DP (from what I understand). I can tell you it allowed me to keep my TomTom and not have to go out an buy a Garmin Zumo. (This application also allowed the TTR2 to pair up to a T-Mobile G1 phone, which is can not see without the application) The software loads quick, and it is seemless in the backround once you load it from the menu.

I bet this would even allow you to pair up your TTR2 to a Bluetooth Car Stereo Head Unit.

Hope this helps!
Tom

If you look at the contents of your unit using Explorer, you'll see a bunch of folders called names like asr, etc. You'll also see a bunch of loose files not in any folder. This is the root of the unit you are looking at. A pin reset does not transfer data; it only acts as a 'reboot' of the unit.

Ask a Question