Rider V2 avoid the driving/saftey menu

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2
I'm using quite happely the tomtom rider v2. I plan all my routes with the latest version of tyre which has google maps integrated. It's a must have if you like driving longer routes over nice twisty routes in Europe as i do. Also the extra applications of "le web Bazar" are a must have. Especially the skipwaypoint tool. Every trip you encounter a village or road the has been closed. By using the skipwaypoint you easily skip the comming waypoint and move directly to the next one.
So far so good. My problem is that I want to acces this tools when I'm driving. I dont want to stop the motor to skip the waypoint. Most of the times this happens in a village so you have enough time to acces your tomtom. But when your driving you have got a saftey or driving menu which contains just 4 tools and this are not the tools I need when I'm driving. Does anybody know a way to get the full menu with the tomtom rider V2 is in the motormount and the motor is moving? If the your remove the tomtom from the motormount you get the full menu but this is not very handy to do when driving as you can understand.

There was a thread a long time ago that had you cover one of the 4 pin connectors on the back of the unit. By doing this, the full menu would appear while in motion. I don't remember which connector it was, so I can't be of much help there, but I did do it once and it worked.

Thank you for the respons. I tried the trick with the connector as well, the problem with it is that, because the tomtom thinks it's not on the motor mount it doesn't give any audio signal anymore. I had no audio directions in my head set when I used the tape. I'd like to hear if you (or anybody else) had or didn't have this problem. The connector that has to be taped is displayed on this picture:

affimage.php

Does anybody have an other way of modifying the saftey/drivers menu or disabeling it so you always have the full menu??

There is a post just 2 back in the list that may be what you are looking for.... lift the Rider a little in it's dock while not moving, tap the screen, once moving, push the Rider back fully down into its dock.

I haven't tried this trick, I enjoy stopping if I need to concentrate on using the navigator and preferr to concentrate on riding while moving.

PC

There is a post just 2 back in the list that may be what you are looking for.... lift the Rider a little in it's dock while not moving, tap the screen, once moving, push the Rider back fully down into its dock.

I haven't tried this trick, I enjoy stopping if I need to concentrate on using the navigator and preferr to concentrate on riding while moving.

PC

I know that trick. I also replied on that on that topic. It's the trick I use now, but it's not a real solution. The risk that the tomtom get's los of the dock and all concentration going to that is to big for me. Most times there's more risk in stopping on the small but busy roads then there is in tapping on the tomtom screen. I hate the fact that tomtom decides for ME what's safe, without taking the real situation in account. It's my device, I paid the money for it so if I want to place a phone call or change the route while driving look uit the Tripmaster or skip a waypoint, it's my decision. So I hope somebody has an other suggestion for this issue, I know a lot of tt rider V2 users are looking for it.

I know that trick. I also replied on that on that topic. It's the trick I use now, but it's not a real solution. The risk that the tomtom get's los of the dock and all concentration going to that is to big for me. Most times there's more risk in stopping on the small but busy roads then there is in tapping on the tomtom screen. I hate the fact that tomtom decides for ME what's safe, without taking the real situation in account. It's my device, I paid the money for it so if I want to place a phone call or change the route while driving look uit the Tripmaster or skip a waypoint, it's my decision. So I hope somebody has an other suggestion for this issue, I know a lot of tt rider V2 users are looking for it.

There are lots of clever people reading this forum and I don't think that your issue will be too difficult to resolve by making a change to the Rider software. I would also make the suggestion directly to Tomtom. They may take notice of your idea, especially if you get other users to contact them too.

Regards from the Southern Hemisphere

PC

There are lots of clever people reading this forum and I don't think that your issue will be too difficult to resolve by making a change to the Rider software. I would also make the suggestion directly to Tomtom. They may take notice of your idea, especially if you get other users to contact them too.

Regards from the Southern Hemisphere

PC

I really really REALLY hope that you're right. I already asked Tomtom, but they descends for me what's safe. Let's hope that one of the clever people on this forum has a creative solution.

I have made no modifications to my Rider2 and I can access the full menu as soon as my bike is stopped. I dont have to shut the motor off as you indicate.

There is a good reason why you cant access the full menu while riding.....we all bitch about people using cell phones, puting on makeup, watching TV, reading the paper while driving, unless of course it is yourself that wants to do those things, then its OK..right?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have made no modifications to my Rider2 and I can access the full menu as soon as my bike is stopped. I dont have to shut the motor off as you indicate.

There is a good reason why you cant access the full menu while riding.....we all bitch about people using cell phones, puting on makeup, watching TV, reading the paper while driving, unless of course it is yourself that wants to do those things, then its OK..right?

Cheers!

it's so easy to condemn some one or something you don't understand. I'm used to that, I'd expect other motorcycle drivers to have the same experience. If you talk about safety with people how don't understand motorcycle drivers. I have invested a lot of money to improve my driving skills. Every year I folow advanced driving courses. Your statement would mean that I wouldn't be able to look at my Tomtom and use my turn switch at the same time. Look at my speedometer and use the brake at the same time.
If you believe a trained and focused person is able to do those things, then (if you try) must understand that it is possible to look at your tomtom and click 2 times on the screen to skip a way point. It takes less then 5 seconds.
Don't condemn other people so easily, especially if you don't seem to understand.

Let's all cool the rhetoric a bit, please.

I agree, let's keep it focused on the technical request. Does anybody have an idea how to get the full menu when the tomtom is in the motor mount while driving.

Please keep your opinion on what's safe to your self.

JPM78, forgive me if you felt that was a personal attack against you. It was not intended to be so. I am glad you have taken safety courses, and want to improve your riding skills. I have been riding bikes for 37 years and have been fortunate enough to never be in an accident. Many times by pure luck and hopefully by now, by riding skill developed over many years.

Safety is and should be everyones concern. I can speak with some authority on the subject as I am an ALS paramedic by trade. Over the past several years, the proliferation of accidents caused by driver inattentiveness has increased considerably. Cell phones being one of the major factors. I would estimate that at least 20 collisions I attend to each year were the direct result of cell phone use (mostly texting while driving), drinking coffee, doing makeup etc. Most end up being "fender benders", but several involve injury and unfortunatly sometimes death. Very easily avoidable situations. As you know, there are so many distractions while riding, its just a pity that we continually find new things to do while driving/riding that take our attention away from the road. At 60mph, you are travelling 88 ft per second, take your eyes off the road for several seconds and...weill I think you get my drift.

Just something for you to consider, thats all.

I now consider my participation in this subject closed.

Cheers,

Thank you for the explanation. The funny thing is I also worked for over 10 years and the ER of a hospital alsX-ray tech. I know how it looks and I also know how many times it;s caused by not paying attention to driving. But that''s also exactly my statement, if you focused and take driving and the speeds serious it's not unsafe to touch your tomtom. Maybe I'm abit sensitive for the fact that people how take this things serious are restricted for the morons how don't. Just like speed limits and a bunch of other rules, made for the incompetent.
Thanks again for the explanation and I hope some one has a solution for my technical question I have no futher need for saftey lessons.

I solved the problem. I don't know what i did wrong in the past but this trick seems to work now. Place a tape over one of the connectors at the back of the rider like this:

affimage.php

In the past my audio didn't work after making this modification but now I tried it again and everything works perfect. I have full menu access and normal audio notification. So guys worth the try, but don't forget to look at the road :rolleyes:

Ask a Question