Rider 2 water intrusion

I have a Rider 2 I purchased last year and have only used a few times. On my last ride, the unit died on me. It had ben raining lightly for about 230 miles or so. When I removed the unit fron the bike mount I discovered that the connector on the back of the unit was soaked.

When I opened the access dor to the SD card and charging port and also discovered that rain had entered the unit. Upon further examination I noticed 2 small crack on the body of the unit where the latching mechanism tab locks the door to the body of the unit.

I dried the unit and reset it. It operated fine until it got wet again.

The material is very thin there and is obviously a design flaw.

Has anyone else had this issue and how did TomTom respond? I plan on contacting them but I think they will try to weassel their way out of replacing my unit?

Thanks

Norsk62

Broken housing

Same problem here. Was riding in the rain in the Alps and all the sudden unit turns off by itself. After some checking finally detected 2 small cracks right next to the latch on the bottom.

Called TomTom support and was told that TomTom does not offer any repair service. They will not offer any help, claimed they never have heard of such a problem. The locking mechanism must transmit some vibration to the housing causing the cracks.

After the power problems with my Rider 1 (where the cradle contacts pushed holes into the contacts) now this with the Rider 2. I am done with TomTom, my next GPS is a Garmin.

DSCN3273s.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question