my rider filled with water

TomTom Model(s)
rider v2
I got caught in a bad storm and my brand new rider filled with water on its first trip, so much in fact that it ran out of the sd card flap and stained the label on the card. Returned the unit to the supplier 2 days later and was still able to shake water out of it to show the salesman and the first question this moron asks "Did you submerge it sir?
"Well actually no **** as I purchased
a Zumo for my underwater motorbike and it doesn't leak "
After I blew a fuse at him he agreed that the unit was faulty and was going to exchange it for me but he would have to check with TomTom first and they said send it back for them to look at it.
After 4 weeks they inform me that there is no fault with the unit and sent it back and expected me to just take it. They have since been informed that they can stick it where the sun don't shine and that I will not accept anything less than a new unit. Rang to get the repair number from the supplier and was told that tomtom agree that the unit would be exchanged
and i asked if it was a new one and was told that it was a reconditioned one whatever that means, probably someone elses faulty unit.
Made a couple of calls to the Dept of Fair Trading and as far as they can see I have every right to demand a full refund as I purchased it in good faith expecting it to be IPX7 as claimed and it did not deliver which is a breach of the Act. The supplier is now getting back to tomtom now they have been informed of this little bit of information to see what they want to do.

This was a very simple problem that could have been solved quickly by a little PR work and replacing the unit and I would have been telling everyone how good tomtom service is instead of how it is non existent and they try every trick to avoid their responsibility.

I am an electrical contractor and have 5 vans running around Sydney and they will become mobile billboards bagging TomTom and the supplier if this is not resolved early in the new year. I have made a temporary sign on my biggest van and have attracted a bit of attention from 4 people in 1 week so watch this space.

Sorry about the rave but I AM PI**ED OFF

Last edited by a moderator:
Come-on - confess - you took it scuba diving didn't you?

It sounds like they may have left the seals off when ti was assembled - it should not have taken in water like that. I know riders that have been caught in extended rain on the the road and never had it leak.

I would agree...I do alot of rain riding, and on one particular trip to the East Coast last August I had to ride in 12 straight days of rain (much of it torrential). Never a problemo with my RR2.

Definatly push to get a brand spankin one.

Cheers!

I have yet to try my RAM Aqua box, but a plastic baggie worked pretty good in the rain a few times (910/920).

I got caught in a bad storm and my brand new rider filled with water on its first trip, so much in fact that it ran out of the sd card flap and stained the label on the card. Returned the unit to the supplier 2 days later and was still able to shake water out of it to show the salesman and the first question this moron asks "Did you submerge it sir?
"Well actually no **** as I purchased
a Zumo for my underwater motorbike and it doesn't leak "
After I blew a fuse at him he agreed that the unit was faulty and was going to exchange it for me but he would have to check with TomTom first and they said send it back for them to look at it.
After 4 weeks they inform me that there is no fault with the unit and sent it back and expected me to just take it. They have since been informed that they can stick it where the sun don't shine and that I will not accept anything less than a new unit. Rang to get the repair number from the supplier and was told that tomtom agree that the unit would be exchanged
and i asked if it was a new one and was told that it was a reconditioned one whatever that means, probably someone elses faulty unit.
Made a couple of calls to the Dept of Fair Trading and as far as they can see I have every right to demand a full refund as I purchased it in good faith expecting it to be IPX7 as claimed and it did not deliver which is a breach of the Act. The supplier is now getting back to tomtom now they have been informed of this little bit of information to see what they want to do.

This was a very simple problem that could have been solved quickly by a little PR work and replacing the unit and I would have been telling everyone how good tomtom service is instead of how it is non existent and they try every trick to avoid their responsibility.

I am an electrical contractor and have 5 vans running around Sydney and they will become mobile billboards bagging TomTom and the supplier if this is not resolved early in the new year. I have made a temporary sign on my biggest van and have attracted a bit of attention from 4 people in 1 week so watch this space.

Sorry about the rave but I AM PI**ED OFF

Yeah TomTom's failure to help when you have a legit problem and blowing you off after 72 hours with their "automated" response pisses me off.
I also complained of not being able to use Tom Tom Home with my brand new out of the box Ryder2. I was only able to use TT home when I purchased a new map. I complained to TT about this and was hoping to get some kind of reimbursement or a incentive, but no.
Bobbychet

Yeah TomTom's failure to help when you have a legit problem and blowing you off after 72 hours with their "automated" response pisses me off.
I also complained of not being able to use Tom Tom Home with my brand new out of the box Ryder2. I was only able to use TT home when I purchased a new map. I complained to TT about this and was hoping to get some kind of reimbursement or a incentive, but no.
Bobbychet

Seems to be that once they get the money it's stiff ****, you are on your own.

Just sent a sarcastic email to the supplier, asking for my repair number before the warranty period is up in Oct 2009.

Last edited:
I am now the owner of a Zumo 550 as I got a full refund and decided that TomTom service in Australia sucks and they can stick it up their bum ( I am allowed to say "bum" aren't I?):p

Glad to hear you got it all sorted, and you're not out any cash. Its too bad you had such a horrid experience with TT.

So far I have no complaints with my Rider2, or with the service I have recieved.

Good luck with your new Garmin.

Cheers

Ask a Question