Problem with go720 , colors changing on their own.

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a refurb go720 unit. I used to have tom tom 6 I believe on my PDA a while ago and I don't remember if it's normal behavior or not but I don't think so, I think when I selected a color it stayed that way no matter what unless it lost the signal. I called the tech support but they were not helpful and wanted to open an RMA on the unit... I don't want to spend $20 sending it in just to get another refurb as for $20 more I could have bought a new go720. The support guy was clueless and I want to see if the real experts would be able to help.

The problem is as follows... whenever driving at slower speeds or even a bit faster when the music is playing the maps will change colors on their own. It's not the gray that you get when you have no sat signal but rather different versions of the selected color scheme... It's really annoying because not only does the map rotate when you take your eyes off it but it also changes color so it's that much harder to get your bearings again. It was doing it out of the box.

Some things that I tried and effects:
- updated to the latest application version via tomtom home - still doing it
- added more themes for the maps thinking that the stock were corrupt - still doing it
- completely removed the app and reinstalled it - still doing it

There is no specific speed or zoom level when this occurs but seems random. I tested it by just standing still and zooming the map in and out and it would change colors at different zoom levels. Sometimes on the highway it will display just the chosen theme for a longer time until I start playing with it and turn on music for example. In shopping mall parking lots, forget about it it will keep changing colors every map update...

It does not rotate all themes installed on the device but rather if I select the default pinkish it will switch the either the default green or blue, if I select a custom theme it will also rotate in between that and the default themes only... but not all of them it's like the main map color only will change because in night mode I never get the red streets for example but only the different colors of the main map background...

I thought this was some kind of warning mechanism but it isn't, the tom tom support never seen this problem so I'm assuming it's not a designed behavior. Please help is solving this or explain why this may be happening if it's something by design.

HELP

and thanks in advance.

Wait for a software update to cure this issue, it is a known fault and seems to affect some devices more than others - I have seen this on my 720 where the pink and green colours often seem to swap over for no reason then back again - Mike

Thank yo for replying so quickly. As long as it's just a software issue with hopes for a fix I'm fine with it. I was worried this was either a bad internal memory that caused some part of the OS to corrupt or that somehow this particular unit was defective in a way that was causing this. I am waiting for TT to ok the latest map for me so I will try one more time to reformat the device and reload it all from scratch with the latest App and Map.

I've seen a post a while back where this happened on a 7xx map, with the latest 8.x application.

If you have a 7xx series map, you could try downgrading to app 7.221 (download this cab and extract the contents to the tomtom, overwriting what's there).

Ask a Question