Problem with internal speaker in GO720

The internal speaker has all of a sudden just stopped working. The only change I had made was to download the 2GB European maps...but to an SD Card. I went on holiday in Europe, drove a camper around for a whole month with no problem from the Tomtom, voice directions coming through no problem. Then on the very last day... all of a sudden no sound...luckily it was my last day as only had to navigate through Frankfurt with my wife reading the instructions to return the camper before flying home to Australia.
I'e read a few posts on different sites, all saying either the speaker has blown or have to remove tomtom appication and re-install. I can't believe the later, as tomtom worked fine every day for a month with the additional maps. The speaker being blown... I took it out, 'looks' fine...but then wouldn't realy see anything on a speaker that small.

Any experience/suggestions. I've seen replacement speakers on ebay and they are easy to replace if that is the problem..

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 940 and options may be different on your device.

But on my 940, under Change Preferences there is this option to change Speaker Preferences and it has many options to redirect the speaker output to something else - such as Blue Tooth Hi-Fi device, Audio Line Out etc.

By any chance you have selected (may be by mistake) any of these options?

Internal speaker stopped working

I reset to factory specs and still did not come back on last night. This morning the directional voice was on when I drove to work... Went out a few minutes ago to test the Bluetooth and the speaker was not functioning again! ARRRHHH!:confused: I checked the change preferences and everything is set to interenal speakers

I reset to factory specs and still did not come back on last night. This morning the directional voice was on when I drove to work... Went out a few minutes ago to test the Bluetooth and the speaker was not functioning again! ARRRHHH!:confused: I checked the change preferences and everything is set to interenal speakers

That looks more like software problem than hardware problems to me.

Speaker works and then stops working, again works and stops working - and you seem to be trying/testing blue tooth etc which is a software configuration change which seems to affect speaker sound.....

Hi i had this problem no sound what i found the problem was the computer voice so i changed the voice to a different one and it worked fine. Hope this helps

Problem with internal speaker - update

I now know the problem is not the speaker or the software. I replaced the speaker = no change, changed the computer voice = no change. Plugged an external speaker in to the 'Line out' and changed speaker preferences to line out = worked as normal with text to speach etc.
So clearly it would seem there is a problem with my board and it may have been caused by my car charger. My car charger all of a sudden started to 'turn off' the Tomtom as soon as it was plugged in = ? shorted out somewhere. I tried a new car charger in the tom tom, works ok, so m,y old car charger must have developed a fault and perhaps blew a circuit on the board inside the tomom = the one that feeds the internal speaker?
Does anybody have a wiring diagram or can advise where to look to see if I can identify the circuit and try and fix?

Regards,
Adrian

Ask a Question