PLUS traffic is broken

I got a second reply from TT Support (same person as the first form letter) late yesterday pulling a a Sgt Shultz "I know nothing" routine about Plus being broken and giving me more canned reset form letters.....

They must be pretty busy with other problems then. I never have received a response to my traffic inquiry the other day other than the "we're really busy and will get to it when we can" form letter. I fixed the problem myself the next day, but they don't know that.

Send a "how to fix it" guide, if you need an e-mail address let me know.

Lets face it the sooner their own support team can start issuing decent detailed responses to what are common problems affecting quite a few users will make it better for all owners of TT based GPS equipment, remember not all complaints to TT even know about forums such as this, ask yourself how many hundreds are still formatting their device following useless advice? - Mike

They must be pretty busy with other problems then. I never have received a response to my traffic inquiry the other day other than the "we're really busy and will get to it when we can" form letter. I fixed the problem myself the next day, but they don't know that.

By fixed - you mean the .dat file problem right?

The LIVE traffic seems to be ok - it's PLUS traffic that is hosed up

As of this morning still not working in Seattle - showed clear on i-405 when it had a mother of a backup due to an accident

Similarly broken still in Boston. Keep on calling in, per dhn the more they hear from us the higher the priority this gets.

By fixed - you mean the .dat file problem right?

The LIVE traffic seems to be ok - it's PLUS traffic that is hosed up

As of this morning still not working in Seattle - showed clear on i-405 when it had a mother of a backup due to an accident

Correct, plus a couple of other changes. But my issue was the 740 Live, not plus traffic. So far I haven't seen an fixes for that. FWIW, I did finally receive a response from TomTom today on my emailed support inquiry. Only took 6 days. :confused:

Not just plus

TMC-RDS is not working in Boston either.

I have a TT730 using map 8.351. The traffic stopped working when I downloaded a new 2GB map on August 28th. I have driven to Cape Cod, downtown Boston and out to the Berkshires. No traffic anywhere.

Last edited:
Do you have the files traffic.dat and tmccodes.dat with 0 byte sizes in the root of the unit? If so, extract the files from the map cab file and overwrite the 0 byte files with them.

Also, do you have a gnsdata folder on the unit? Try deleting the contents of it.

Just got a third "there is no Plus traffic problem" email from TT and a form letter "clear flash email" request

Also worth pointing out the clear flash zip file says go510-710 - time to update that kiddies!

and still no traffic beyond the road work stuff......

I'm calling them today on my lunch, Today is day 5 of an "Escalated Research Item" and still no response, although the reps said I will get a response in 5 days. I"m going to start making heads roll until they get off their a**'s and fix this. I'll let ya know what I find out :)

Well, I called, still no update, and the tech support is horrible. I'm so fed up with TomTom, I love them, as long as nothing goes wrong, if something does go wrong, they take forever to fix it, after numerous attempts to convince you that it's not really a problem... it's horrible.

I emailed them the attached files today. One is a file showing only he incidens and no travel times on a screen shot. The other is the current traffic map for the Metro Atlanta area.

traffic.jpg

dump1709727426.bmp

Is tomtom listening

Its about 8:30pm on Long Island. THe only thing showing on plus service traffic is that a lane was closed. Nothing on conjestion on the roads This was occurring going into Manhatten and across the George Washington Bridge where both should show major congestion.

Even when Plus Traffic 'works' - it is pathetic ! Compere the two attachments and note how skimpy the TomTom interface is. When I drove a rented car 4 years ago in Germany, it had a built-in (did not note at the time whose it was) that looked like the traffic map - plus gave delay times on the route and was very good at re-routing.

Even when it is "working" - the plus sever is down more than it is up - I rarely have use of it for a more than a 1-2 hour trip.

Good to see you here, GAW.

Sorry for your experiences and, sadly, you are not alone.

Good to see you here, GAW.

Sorry for your experiences and, sadly, you are not alone.

Been very active on TMo/Samsung Behold/Memoir forums - which you cannot tether on TomToms or anything else (went by-by on eBay.) - plus fooling with Windows 7.

Replaced it (Memoir)with a Pharos 137, which you can pair with TT and laptops and also pairs on TMo 3G and AT&T 3G (but on a relatively expansive AT&T plan).

I will be traveling across county in a few weeks, so have not upgraded to latest map and OS - as it works pretty good right now (EXCEPT FOR TRAFFIC!!!!), so don't want to mess with it.

I see however that TT has continued its "Beta testing' on the backs of users - which is another reason I choose to leave well enough alone until I get to my destination

I've been pretty happy with plus service, when it works. Coverage could improve, but it's the second best available right now in the US (Tomtom LIVE traffic is better).

Even when Plus Traffic 'works' - it is pathetic ! Compere the two attachments and note how skimpy the TomTom interface is.

The skimpyness is because plus is broken. When working properly, plus traffic looks like the live traffic screenshots here. The number of covered roads are reduced vs the live traffic in the photo, but the interface works the same way and shows delay length.

Maybe you aren't browsing the map from the traffic sidebar menu? When using the menus only availble from the traffic sidebar's, all the added features show up.

Also, I've had plus for months now. I've only seen two outages prior to this extended outage, one was a few hours long, and the other was for an evening. Given it's value for $60, for me it was well worth the minimal previous outages.

But this 2-week outage is outrageous. Anyone know Best Buy's return policy? If it's full refund within 30 days, I may buy a 740 until this is resolved and just return it.

Edit: grrr - 15% restocking fee at Best Buy. $55 is too high for a "loan".... I would have kept a 740 if it wasn't a music downgrade from the 720, and if a 950 wasn't just around the corner...

Last edited:
Does anyone else notice this? The past 3-4 days, the Tomtom seems to crash/reboot a lot, 1-2 times a day. It appears to reboot immediately after it downloads traffic.

Maybe its related?

I haven't had any issues with rebooting, other than having to pin reset every couple of days when my Bluetooth remote starts not wanting to connect.

I wonder if old fashioned USPS letters to management would help?

I just had my weekly call bugging Tomtom support on this. One important thing, they now agreed to extend my plus subscription due to the outage. Call in, now that they're extending subscriptions (costing them $$), and if they extend for lots of us, I'm sure this'll keep going higher on the priority list.

Ask a Question