PLUS traffic is broken

ITS FIXED!!!

Finally.... after 1.5 months...

Tomtom turned back on the highway flow, and shut off the sideroad flow. It's back to how it used to be on 8/26.

8/26 is about when Inrix expanded its sideroad flow on the 740 LIVE. My guess is that Inrix wanted more $$ for the expansion, and Tomtom only paid for it on their high end LIVE traffic. So Tomtom probably installed the upgrade, and intended to put a Highway-only filter on PLUS traffic.

During this outage, they probably got the filter backwards, and we ended up with an "all except highway" filter.

Wow, finally! I had a brief outage on my 740 this morning. Perhaps that was when they implemented the change. I can't believe this whole thing lasted as long as it did.

I'm getting close to having reached my goal as well. This morning I checked my bank account and saw a credit from TomTom for $19.95 for the Fuel Price service. Unfortunately I still haven't received credit for Plus Traffic. I'm giving them till tomorrow and then I'll have to get back in touch with the BBB.

I'm glad Plus Traffic is back but I'm so happy with the 740, I think I'll stick with it.

Great....and my $14 RDS antenna won't even see use now...it should arrive today. Grrrr.

Woudln't even be worth sending it back for a refund after postage.

I wonder if there's any chance for sideroad traffic flow on the 730 ever.

The RDS antenna now has the same limited inrix sideroad info that PLUS had. It's not as much as the 740 LIVE since the 740 had Trafficast info too.

So your antenna will show better sideroad traffic info. And it's cheaper than a PLUS renewal.

But it looks uglier, and it doesn't subtract IQroutes like PLUS does so it overstates traffic. So you'll have to pick your poison, or pay for the 740 to get the best of both worlds.

At least you can easily switch back and forth whenever you want.

100% of my commute is on interstates or major highways, so I'll stick with plus. My TT is mounted on the lower left of the windshield, so I think I could run a lot of the cables into the A pillar and clean up the install. Do you know if the cable is an active part of the antenna or just the stub at the end?

My experience with the RDS is that if the wire is coiled up I'll only get a connection once in a while. If the wire is fully extended I connect in 1-2 minutes. So I'm guessing that it is an active part of the antenna.

My antenna works just fine with the cord wound around the base of the mount. And then , when I need to switch cars, it's not difficult to do. Generally it picks up the signal before I get to the end of my driveway. Once in a while when I pass the house next door. So that's no longer than 200 ft.

You know, one thing I noticed when PLUS became active again. In the AM, it had been routing me on surface streets to work. On the day after PLUS started working again, It routed me that way it had been, on the interstate and then an expressway instead of interstate and then surface streets.

Finally, I was able to close the Plus Traffic chapter for myself. Yesterday I received my Plus Traffic refund. I have to say that once I got the BBB involved it was a pleasure to deal with TomTom. I almost always received timely responses to my e-mail requests and considering that I got about 6 months of free Plus Traffic out of it (February - August) it wasn't that bad at all. Now I can finally enjoy my 740 to its fullest. :p

Finally, I was able to close the Plus Traffic chapter for myself. Yesterday I received my Plus Traffic refund. I have to say that once I got the BBB involved it was a pleasure to deal with TomTom. I almost always received timely responses to my e-mail requests and considering that I got about 6 months of free Plus Traffic out of it (February - August) it wasn't that bad at all. Now I can finally enjoy my 740 to its fullest. :p

I'm jealous, tomtom only extended my plus traffic for 3 months.

I am torn about going to back to the RDS antenna.

Plus is not providing what I see is any better coverage in Seattle and I get the damn lockups and reboots when it had problems with the data link because of DUN.

The 730 was rock solid last week in Sydney and previously with the RDS in Seattle but since I removed it I am getting at least one reboot per trip

I am torn about going to back to the RDS antenna.

Plus is not providing what I see is any better coverage in Seattle and I get the damn lockups and reboots when it had problems with the data link because of DUN.

The 730 was rock solid last week in Sydney and previously with the RDS in Seattle but since I removed it I am getting at least one reboot per trip

If you don't use the FM transmitter, downgrade to app 8.302. It's much more stable with bluetooth since it doesn't have app 8.35x's handsfree memory leak.

But even 8.302 has a bug where the Tomtom reboots if you lose cell signal when there is an incident on your route. If you're not on 3G, you "lose data signal" every time you make a call, since 2G doesn't permit simultaneous voice and data.

Last edited:

Ask a Question