PLUS traffic is broken

Gator, for another data point - how's your 740 traffic? Does it still match routes.tomtom.com?

If something broke, it may be the trafficcast feed still works but Inrix doesn't. I'm just questioning the increased amount of new sideroad flow. It really makes me feel like it's a case of an Inrix sideroad upgrade gone bad.

Any one have more direct contacts at Tomtom or Inrix who can get real attention to resolving this matter? It appears that Tomtom phone support doesn't have the understanding or maybe not the authorization to escalate this further.

Dhn - you have my contact info via PM - feel free to relay that on if they need any help describing symptoms.

Wow, this is amazing. Thanks for all the info guys. I would agree that TomTom phone support has no clue. I hope this will be resolved soon.

Does anyone know anything about any general server problems today? I checked to see if any traffic information was available and the TomTom wouldn't connect. I re-paired the unit with my phone but it won't let me set up my data connection. Boy, is this getting frustrating.

UPDATE:
Never mind. It's working again.

Last edited:
I wish this feature would work, I don't even want to drive during rush hour right now because of this. DHN please post if you happen to hear anything new regarding the situation. Thanks!

Gator, for another data point - how's your 740 traffic? Does it still match routes.tomtom.com?

If something broke, it may be the trafficcast feed still works but Inrix doesn't. I'm just questioning the increased amount of new sideroad flow. It really makes me feel like it's a case of an Inrix sideroad upgrade gone bad.

Any one have more direct contacts at Tomtom or Inrix who can get real attention to resolving this matter? It appears that Tomtom phone support doesn't have the understanding or maybe not the authorization to escalate this further.

MVK. I'd love to answer your question, but I don't have traffic working on my 740. Subscription is active, but traffic doesn't show in my services list at all. I updated to the latest map today as well as the latest version of Home, 2.7.2.1825. Since then, no traffic. I manually copied over tmccodes and traffic.dat after the map update (they were bad), logged in to my account several times today, and checked MyOrders at TomTom to be sure my live services were showing active in my account. No luck at all to this point. I may try rolling back Home to 2.6 to see if it has any effect.

Said it was 2GB, but the actual cab file is 1.56GB

File name listed as North_America_2GB-1

Last edited:
Well, TT reported they investigated the problem with the 0 byte files and figured out (wrongly, I think)

" it seems that this issue exists for people using
1. HOME 2.6.x Windows client or
2. HOME 2.7.1.581 MAC client.

Solution for 1) Please ask these customers to upgrade their HOME version to 2.7.x;

the 2.6.x Windows client is outdated and does not correctly handle maps larger than 2GB.
2) under investigation"

Seems to me that some with Home 2.7 for Windows also got bitten.

DHN, I've done a pretty thorough seach at the different forums and don't see anything similar as an issue after 2.7 update. I did copy over the two files prior to updating to 2.7, but never checked to see that traffic was working before updating Home. Makes it tough to nail down when the problem appeared. I suspect the problem is at TT's end and I've submitted a ticket. Got the "unusually high activity" auto-response so I may need to give them a call tomorrow. Of course if you, MVL or one of our other members have a suggestion, I'm happy to hear it.:D

Last edited:
As you know, reporting a problem to them is one thing, having them do anything about it is quite another sometimes. Remember how long it took to 'unkill' fm broadcasting with a further app update?

Having said that, the more Americans that call 866-486-6866 and complain, the faster the problem will be rectified. (sounds like a pledge for PBS :D )

We Canadians, in the boonies apparently, don't even have the 740 model here to have the problem with.....

OK, I got serious about fixing this. I wiped the slate clean, reloaded the app, added back my old map and traffic returned. I then reloaded the new map, traffic still there, but now unable to connect to server. I'm tired tonight, so I'm not going to bother with any more for now. It may actually be a server problem anyway, so I'll check it in the morning and report back

Oh the joys of TomTom ownership. . .

Man, you're sounding as old as I!! :eek:

Getting up at 5 am makes me really tired about now, too..........

Have a good nite.

Well, good intentions, but I couldn't help but try again. I reset to factory defaults. The traffic bar has disappeared again. Makes no sense at all. Can't see how that would disable traffic. Something else is going on.

OK, I got serious about fixing this. I wiped the slate clean, reloaded the app, added back my old map and traffic returned. I then reloaded the new map, traffic still there, but now unable to connect to server. I'm tired tonight, so I'm not going to bother with any more for now. It may actually be a server problem anyway, so I'll check it in the morning and report back

Oh the joys of TomTom ownership. . .

Gator - traffic is downloaded, even on LIVE devices, as traffic.inc in your map folder. If it worked with the old map, and you upgraded but kept the dat file, then perhaps you had your prior traffic showing up.

When you were unable to connect to the server after the upgrade - did you remember to manually copy tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat?

It appears that all of us with problems have North America 2GB - do any other American maps have problems? (eg: usa/canada, North America (full) for the 930?) Is anyone on this forum currently experiencing working traffic?

I'm going to try some map "troubleshooting" and post back...

Last edited:
I'm really REALLY done trouble-shooting tonight. At the worst I'll reload my old map tomorrow, but I want to speak with TT first. It's really odd. My sub shows active, but traffic is not even listed in MyServices. Tapping on the traffic icon gets me "your subscription may have expired". I don't need my TomTom tomorrow so it's no big deal. I've got other pnd's I can depend on for now. But it's irritating not to get the services you pay for, and be responsible for trying to fix the problems that TomTom is creating.

I noticed something interesting in the map files....

Does anyone with map 835 for a 920/930 have issues with traffic? If my map suspicion is right, 920/930 owners shouldn't have a problem.

edit: Disregard - I checked and owners of the North America full map have issues too.

Last edited:

Ask a Question