PLEASE HELP!!! XL IQ memory not emptying for new map!!

Someone cleverer than me, please help.

I bought the XL IQ with European maps. Then went to Australia so bought the local maps, moved the EU maps to computer, deleted them from device using 'Manage My TomTom' and installed the new maps. This seemed to work although I noticed the 'memory' of the device still showed a larger amount of 'installed items' than the actual listing under the device. Strange.
But it worked ok so left it.

No, I need to put the EU maps on again.

So made a back up and then went to 'Manage my TT' to move AU map to computer. Then deleted the map on device. Then went to download the EU map back to the device.

BUT - it says there is no room! Even though the the 'Manage My TT' shows NO MAPS on the managing screen - it still shows over 2000MB of used space!!! What on Earth??? How can I delete these 'phantom files' if they are no where to be seen on the file list??

I am in huge trouble as need the EU maps urgently and now cannot seem to fit ANYTHING on the device.
Please anyone....

hannacecilia

You do have the backed up EU map, right?

Look at the contents of your unit using Explorer. Don't even start Home. What are you seeing there? From your description of events, you should not be seeing eith an Oz map folder or an EU map folder.

Make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents, not Home. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Then reformat the internal storage of the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Next........connect the unit to Home. It should offer an application. Download, install and disconnect the unit properly from Home (using Home's Device Disconnect icon). Shut down Home and make sure it's not running in the background (that there is no TomTom icon in your notification area [bottom right] of your computer--if so, right click and exit]

Now, use Explorer to copy back the EU map. Does it work now?

yes, I'm a MAC user

Hi,
thank you SO much for quick responses.
Yes - I am using a MAC. Don't tell me that's yet another issue....!
Will start trying the trick but bit scared wiping all out...

Try clearing the trash folder with the device connected as the Apple system doesn't fully delete the files till you do this - Mike

Still not emptying the TomTom hard disk.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help.
I first copied then deleted all files on TT through Finder (Mac version of Explorer).
This worked fine. But looking at the 'available space' it looks like it is still full of some 'ohantom data' and nothing has been erased even though no files are visible.
So then tried deleting the Trash. It has now been 'preparing emptying Trash' for 3 hours. So clearly it is not able to do it for some reason???

I am totally lost.

Anyone? Any more tips what to do?

Should I try the 'formatting'? Any tips on how to do that on Mac?

Thanks,
Hanna

Just to note that I looked at the Mac Disk Utility for the formatting, but not sure which format I should choose?
Should I just leave it at what it is offering, which is: MS-DOTS(Fat) and the name for drive: 'Internal'??

Sorry, but a bit of a novice at this reformatting business..

Would love few more tips..!

Hanna

If you aren't offered FAT32 (and I don't think you would), then DOS-FAT is the format, not NTFS.

Solved

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Just to let you know that as I tried to empty the Trash on my Mac the whole thing crashed (a first for my new MacBookPro). Then tried reformatting but this wasn't working either as the Trash wasn't able to be emptied and Disk Utility kept saying the disk was in use.

By then I had truly had enough so I started an old PC laptop, connected the TomTom, emptied the HD and made sure it was empty. WOrked like a dream!

Then connected back to my Mac and reinstalled everything. All works brilliantly now.

I am a huge Mac fan and almost embarrassed that had to resort to the PC with this.
But anyway. All works fine now.

Thank you everyone!

Hanna

Ask a Question