Please help. Tom Tom One XL US and Canada Map Not Showing.

Hi, I am new on this forum. I just bought the Tom Tom One XL and it came with the US and Canada map. When I plugged my device into my Tom Tom Home software, my device all of a sudden shows the Guam map and I can no longer find the US and Canada map while I am navigating. It is very frustrating.

On Tom Tom Home, it says my device actually has the US and Canada map installed. How can I show this map when I am navigating?

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi, I am new on this forum. I just bought the Tom Tom One XL and it came with the US and Canada map. When I plugged my device into my Tom Tom Home software, my device all of a sudden shows the Guam map and I can no longer find the US and Canada map while I am navigating. It is very frustrating.

On Tom Tom Home, it says my device actually has the US and Canada map installed. How can I show this map when I am navigating?

Thanks,
Bruce

Have your tried preference/manage maps / switch maps ?

No, I unfortuantely cannot access the US or Canadian maps. Only Guam shows up on my device, but I don't need it. That is my issue :confused:

bear with us we will try and help you find this. I need to know a couple of things

1 have you done a windows explorer (not Home ) backup of you unit ?

2 have you D/L new map from home and if so do you know whay verson ?

Looking in the TomTom map shop, I can't find a separate map for Guam; however, since Guam is a U.S. territory, it might be included in the US and Canada map. I'm guessing here, but have you tried resetting your home location?

Mark

I tried to download the latest map, but it says I have the latest version. I unfortunately did not back it up.

Looking in the TomTom map shop, I can't find a separate map for Guam; however, since Guam is a U.S. territory, it might be included in the US and Canada map. I'm guessing here, but have you tried resetting your home location?

Mark

I would love to reset it, but how do I reset it? I could not find anything in the help files.

Actually, I meant simply changing the home location back to your home address, which can be done under Change Preferences -> Change Home Location. I'm no expert, but that's the first thing I'd try. On the other hand, when I power on my device it automatically shows me my current position, for which the home location shouldn't matter...

Mark

Actually, I meant simply changing the home location back to your home address, which can be done under Change Preferences -> Change Home Location. I'm no expert, but that's the first thing I'd try. On the other hand, when I power on my device it automatically shows me my current position, for which the home location shouldn't matter...

Mark

Hey Mark,
Yes, I tried that too, but unfortunately, when I try to set my home location, all I have available to me is the Guam map and nothing else. Whenever I type in a US city, my Tom Tom does not find it and only shows me matches in Guam.

My Tom Tom Home actually shows that I have the US and Canada map when I select the icon for "Show Contents of my One XL", but the actual device just doesn't find it. I am at my wits end.

Also, when I browse the disk drive that gets created when I plug my device into my computer's USB port, the US_AND_CANADA folder is there, but it just does not show up on the device itself when I select the map or try to switch maps. In other words, it looks right on Tom Tom Home, but not on the device itself.

Bruce

I would love to reset it, but how do I reset it? I could not find anything in the help files.

To reset there is a spot on the bottom of your unit that you push in with a straightebed paper clip for 5 seconds.

you might also need to install the clear flash tool that usualy will get you your map back if all else fails. you can dowlload it from Tomtom .com
Click_here

If this corrects your issue please do a complete backup using explorer ( Not TT Home )

Explanation_how_to_here

Last edited:
I'm curious; did you have to manually edit the CurrentMap.dat file to fix it? This appears to be a fairly common problem; a friend told me last night that it happened to him when he got a One 3rd Edition for Christmas last year.

I also ran across a post on a blog site yesterday in which the poster said he worked for the company that supplies maps to TomTom; and that Guam is included in the USA maps. I don't have a separate map file for Guam; do you?

I'm also wondering why it's important to backup using Explorer instead of Home; does that mean Home doesn't back up everything?

Mark

No, I did not edit the CurrentMap.dat file, although I thought about it as a last resort. I try not to edit system files that came with the package since I figure they must have it set up a certain way for a reason. If the company allows you to edit the system data like an open source PHP script, then I take the liberty.

I do have a separate folder for Guam. It is a complete folder that is located outside of the US_AND_CANADA folder.

I think using Explorer, you have more control over where your backup goes, which I like better. You can have Tom Tom Home back it up, but I did not like how long it took.

However, I did read someone on these forums that there is a bug with Tom Tom Home software where it backups up a few folders with the wrong case and since the restore is case sensitive, if you need to restore your Tom Tom data, part of the restore does not work. So, I think using Windows Explorer is more reliable since it is not case sensitive.

Bruce

Ask a Question