ONE XL-S is very near being sent back

This unit is testing my patience.

First the map updates HOME wants to install (and takes 3 hours to download) do not fit on the internal memory.

Now, since I have a 4GB SD card inserted, the XL-S is not happy with the SD card in there, or any SD card for that matter. It gives the little animation with the red X through the card.

So I did some googling, tried copying a backup to the card with my PC and inserting into the XL-S but the unit is still not happy.

It might go back in the box and back to Amazon before it meets the wall.

My older unit never had any problems, but all this unit IS IS problems.:mad:

The latest application for the tomtom one xl is 8.01.

You need to have application 8.3 or higher to read SD cards > 2GB. 8.3 is currently only available for GO x20/x30/x40 models.

You should be able to use a 2gb memory card.

When you plug in a memory card, the internal memory is completely ignored. You have to copy the entire contents of the tomtom (via windows explorer) to the SD card (via a memory card reader). Then when you plug the card in, the tomtom will have all the files it needs to prevent the red X.

Last edited:
The latest application for the tomtom one xl is 8.01.

You need to have application 8.3 or higher to read SD cards > 2GB. 8.3 is currently only available for GO x20/x30/x40 models.

You should be able to use a 2gb memory card.

When you plug in a memory card, the internal memory is completely ignored. You have to copy the entire contents of the tomtom (via windows explorer) to the SD card (via a memory card reader). Then when you plug the card in, the tomtom will have all the files it needs to prevent the red X.

Tried that - copied the "backup" files directly to the SD card on my PC and still a no-go.

Try a pin reset. The operating system and map must reside in the same memory location for your model -- either internal or sd card.

If you've put the firmware on the sd card, the map must reside there too. TT is designed to boot to the sd card first if it detects the o/s resides there.

The red X means the unit cannot detect an operating system.

So, you can (again) back up everything in internal using Explorer, not Home, to a folder on the computer. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Backup everything on the sd card to a different folder.

Use Explorer to delete the operating system files (loose files in the root of the unit). Connect to Home. Home should detect the operating system (application) is missing and offer to dl it. Accept it and dl and install. Now, try to copy back the map.

Try a pin reset. The operating system and map must reside in the same memory location for your model -- either internal or sd card.

If you've put the firmware on the sd card, the map must reside there too. TT is designed to boot to the sd card first if it detects the o/s resides there.

The red X means the unit cannot detect an operating system.

So, you can (again) back up everything in internal using Explorer, not Home, to a folder on the computer. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Backup everything on the sd card to a different folder.

Use Explorer to delete the operating system files (loose files in the root of the unit). Connect to Home. Home should detect the operating system (application) is missing and offer to dl it. Accept it and dl and install. Now, try to copy back the map.

OK I went out and bought a 2GB SD AND xferred the files first but the issue that I've having now is that the HOME app will d/l the map BUT it hangs about halfway through the "transfer" (to the unit). This is the THIRD time I've tried D/L the map (and keep in mind each d/l is about 3.5 hours). The HOME app can install small items but seems to have issues with large Xfers - e.g. map installs and backups. The PC will access the tomtom just fine - just like a removable drive, and that is actually how I backed up the unit the 2nd time and did all the SD/TomTom/PC transfers.

Is there any way to install the map manually or somehow fool HOME into installing directly to the SD card without it being installed in the TomTom? That would simplify things greatly.

I think home will recognize an SD card in an SD reader, as if it were a tomtom. I'm not at home to test it though.

That is correct, mvl.

Well I eventually got it working - here's what I did:

Deleted the map files on the SD card via a card reader. When HOME d/l a map, it creates a subfolder with a couple cabs and a toc file. I extracted the "North_America" cab to its own directory with the same name. I then copied the "North_America" folder to the root of the SD card, and put the toc in both the root and "North_America" directories (not sure where it's supposed to go but it won't hurt being in both places).

When I inserted the SD card back into the TomTom, it came up saying that it wasn't activated and gave a device ID. I then went to ttactivation.com (I think that was the site). The "product code" is actually contained in the downloaded files - it's a *.mac file - and the product code is the file's name (*). Typing that in, and the device ID yielded an "activation code" which I manually typed into the TomTom and VOILA.... I now have the latest map.

Somewhat bizarre but I'm glad you got things working. Don't forget to make a full backup now.

Thanks for reporting back.

Somewhat bizarre but I'm glad you got things working. Don't forget to make a full backup now.

Thanks for reporting back.

Thanks for the help.

At any rate, I'm already at the limit of this 2GB SD card - the TTS voices take up A LOT of room.

Ask a Question