No Sound

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 130
Hi,

My TomTom Via 130 is making no sound at all. I have tried holding the power button (getting the black config style screen), the unit reboots but no drum roll. I've reset to factory settings and updated everything, but still totally silent. I've also tried the repair mode, but that also doesn't restore sound. All sound settings are correct, volume is set to 100%, battery is fully charged.

It was working fine one day, then I made a call and it went silent.

It's done this once before, but updating the software fixed it - not this time though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

None of the configuration settings impact whether there is sound during a reboot (the drums), so if you don't have it there, especially with a reset, you won't have it at all.
Interesting -- it was a BT connect call that occurred just before you lost all sound? I'm wondering if the last event where 'updating software' was more coincidence than not. During that last episode, did the device also refuse to give drum sounds during a reboot? If so, that's really, really odd.

Hi. Thanks for the really quick reply. Yes, Bluetooth connect call, it muted navigation sounds (as usual) but I couldn't hear the caller. When the call ended (which, as you can imagine was quite quickly) the TomTom was completely mute.

Yes, last time no drums either.

That's pretty interesting, and I haven't a clue. However, I know some folks who may be able to help, and I'll be in touch with them to see what they say.
Before I do, can you please advise the firmware version (aka "App") and OS version you are currently running? You can grab that info from
Settings / Left Arrow / Me and my device / About my device

Hi, it says:

App 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 12/9/2013), OS 1344689

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm not sure if the mic is working either, the voice control functionality doesn't work and just keeps showing "say a command like".

Thanks loads.

To be honest, I'm not sure I can do the drum reset, as I can't hear the drums! :confused:

I've tried holding down the power button (from both on and off) until I see the black "config" screen. The unit then restarts, but there's still no sound.

Think warranty has finished.

Ah -- let's start with this. Do NOT hold the button down so long. The drums normally occur just as you see the TomTom logo on the screen during a reboot. Please reboot by holding down the button about 20 seconds -- ONLY until the logo appears. Then release it. You've been holding it down so long that you are getting to the diag screen, which is a somewhat different thing.

Still nothing. :( Released button as soon as the logo appeared after it re-booted, it took longer than a normal "on" and displayed "Welcome to TomTom Via", which I think it only does after a proper reboot.

OK. Good to confirm that, at least. I see that your application is very fresh (you probably downloaded and installed it within the last week). So one more question before I pose it elsewhere ... did this by any chance occur IMMEDIATELY after the firmware update you performed that brought you to build level 2092?

Hi. No, it hadn't had an update for months until this issue - it only got updates etc while trying to fix this problem.

level 12.071 for production.
We're all using the same build number, David. OP says his is App 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 12/9/2013), OS 1344689
Note the 12 September 2013 date.

@RiCu
The firmware you show was just released a week or so ago to users, so there MUST have been a recent update. Perhaps you were not aware that it was occurring when you connected? I'm still wondering if your problem was associated with this update.

Hi, sorry, don't think I was very clear - it's only had a firmware update SINCE having the issue, I plugged it into the PC to try and fix the issue. Before the issue, it hadn't been plugged in for months.

I'd still suggest leaving the device plugged into the computer for about four hours to charge. Device does not have to be on.

OK. Think we've got it now.

Problem previously happened.
Device previously connected and updated.
Problem went away.

Problem recently happened.
Device recently connected and updated.
Problem still there.

Last item. Can you supply your unit serial number?

That sums it up.

Been on charge for about 5 hours, no change.

Serial number, is that the ID on the config screen? If so its AW5172D00890.

Ask a Question