No shutdown image

Can I just reiterate?

The pictures that are ON my unit, are jpg's stored as slides. Any bmp's don't show on my unit.

And yes, before you ask, I've tried saving them as jpg's. But I just can't get any new pictures in my unit from TomTom Home (Add maps, traffic, voices, etc.)

I can however change my car icons with no problem from TomTom Home, and they are saved as bmp's.

So am I missing some sort of file that won't allow new startup or shutdown images?

Last edited:
When you go to Preferences-->Startup preferences, the second screen shows your current startup image (stored as splashw.bmp in the root of the unit). It asks whether you want to change your image. If you say yes, you can scroll through the .jpgs in the photo folder. The one you select will automatically get converted to a .bmp AND replace (it overwrites) the existing splashw.bmp. [it works, I just tried it].

However..........there is no automatic way to select a shutdown image. For that, YOU have to provide a .bmp called antitheft.bmp and YOU have to place that in the root of the unit.

I provided a link some posts back to an application that will convert a photo for you to a splashw.bmp that you can download.

BUT, if it is an image you want to use for shut down, then YOU have to rename it as antitheftw.bmp BEFORE YOU copy it from where it got dl to the computer to the root of the unit.

I don't know what more I can add.

When you go to Preferences-->Startup preferences, the second screen shows your current startup image (stored as splashw.bmp in the root of the unit). Maybe in yours, but not in mine. I'll say again, the bmp's stored in the root of my unit ARE NOT ON MY DEVICE.It asks whether you want to change your image. If you say yes, you can scroll through the .jpgs in the photo folder. The one you select will automatically get converted to a .bmp AND replace (it overwrites) the existing splashw.bmp. [it works, I just tried it].

However..........there is no automatic way to select a shutdown image. For that, YOU have to provide a .bmp called antitheft.bmp and YOU have to place that in the root of the unit.When I first got my unit I was able to have a separate image for startup and shutdown. Startup was a sunset, shutdown was an ugly green screen with an illustration of taking TomTom with you. I didn't like that one so I deleted it. (maybe that's when my troubles started)

I provided a link some posts back to an application that will convert a photo for you to a splashw.bmp that you can download.

BUT, if it is an image you want to use for shut down, then YOU have to rename it as antitheftw.bmp BEFORE YOU copy it from where it got dl to the computer to the root of the unit.This seems odd, since TomTom Home 2 offers shutdown images, that in my mind should just automatically work

I don't know what more I can add.
Oh well, such is life.

I should have said to save as in your route (not in the startup folder)

If you like here is the shutdown screen I use. just got to the link type in the three bold leter code in the box and download it to the root of your unit. It should work. If you don?t like it delete it.
link

I didn't see your link until a few minutes ago. I tried it, and it WORKED! I don't know why????:confused: , but I'm going to compare the properties to all of my other antitheftw.bmp attempts. Thanks for giving me something to work with.

I noticed that in my attempts, the home software was copying the image as antitheft.bmp, instead of antitheftw.bmp.

It was freaking annoying but, that's what worked for me.

Ask a Question