No shutdown image

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 720
I have "warn not to leave devise in car" checked in safety preferences.

I uploaded a shutdown image from TomTom Home. According to the "show contents on my device" the image is on my devise.

But, every time I shut it down, the start up image is displayed.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,
Brenda

Use Explorer to rename the image 'antitheftw.bmp' and make sure it is in the root of the unit, not a folder.

Last edited:
Hi dhn,

It's me again.................sorry :)

My computer, TomTom F, underneath all of the folders are files. I found the image that I uploaded. The little icon next to it looks like a paintbrush - antitheftw 92KB bitmap image.

Is this the one I should rename?

Thanks

Yep, antitheftw.bmp

If it does NOT show on shutdown, it probably means you uploaded an image meant for the smaller (3.5 inch) screens.

You did say that preferences-->safety-->warn not to leave in car IS checked?

I found another file in the internal memory in an art file called - antitheftw.tlv

I'm unable to open it.

Should I rename THAT one?

I don't think it would do any good. It's not a graphic file.

As I said earlier, I suspect the image you have for a shutdown is too small for the 720 4.3" inch screen.

I'm providing a link to a program (on line) where you upload an image, select your model from the drop down window (select the 720) and it converts the image to a file size you can use.

The link is here.

Then you download the image (you may need to rename it antitheftw.bmp and put it in the root of the unit.

Uh Oh
I think there's more to this than meets the eye.

When I look in explorer, none of the pictures that are in the "startupscreen" folder are in my devise. And neither are any of the pictures that are in the next folder called "suspendscreen".

As I nosy around in Explorer, I found the pictures that ARE on my devise, which is in a folder called "photos" in the internal memory folder.

When I actually turn on my TomTom and change preferences, start up preferences, - the images that I can use for my start up image only, are all "slides" which are the same images that are in my Explorer folder under "photos" - NOT "startupscreen.

So, to me the images are not being stored properly on my devise.

What do you think?

The photos in the 'photos' folder CAN be selected as a startup screen. Use preferences-->start up preferences (page 6) and after making your choices, the next screen asks if you want to change your start up. If you say yes then the software switches your exisiting startup file in the root with the one you selected from the photos folder, for that is where the software looks to offer you the selection.

Look here:

splash.jpg

I've highlighted two bitmaps in the ROOT of my unit. One is for the startup; the other for the shutdown.

Last edited:
Right, that's what I said, the pictures that I can use are in the photo folder.

Any picture that I upload from TomTom home, under add maps, traffic, voices, ect. are placed in the startupscreen folder. These pictures do not show up on my devise.

Then pick the ones you want and use Explorer to copy them from the folder to the root just as my image shows.

I wish I knew how to attach photos like yours, so I can show you what I see on my computer. I guess my communication skills suk, because what I'm trying to convey is that I am looking exactly where you are showing me in the image above and the only .bmp files that are there are the ones that are NOT on my devise. If you scroll up above where you are showing me your bitmaps, there is a yellow folder called "photos". THAT is where the pictures are that I can choose from on my devise. Now, keep in mind, whatever picture I choose will show on both startup and shutdown.

I wish I knew how to attach photos like yours, so I can show you what I see on my computer. I guess my communication skills suk, because what I'm trying to convey is that I am looking exactly where you are showing me in the image above and the only .bmp files that are there are the ones that are NOT on my devise. If you scroll up above where you are showing me your bitmaps, there is a yellow folder called "photos". THAT is where the pictures are that I can choose from on my devise. Now, keep in mind, whatever picture I choose will show on both startup and shutdown.

If the pictures you want show up on you unit as you say then try using your windows paint program and open the pictures in there then when you have the picture you want as a start up picture do a save as splash.bmp or splashw.bmp if you have the larger screen.

as a shut down screen open with paint or any photo editing program and do a save as antitheft.bmp or antitheftw.bmp for wider screen.

antitheftw.jpg

Last edited:
Are the images in the root of the unit, NOT a folder?

I showed in my screen capture of my post in page 1 of this thread where the files MUST reside.

Hi GarCor,

I did as you suggested and it didn't work.

I should have said to save as in your route (not in the startup folder)

If you like here is the shutdown screen I use. just got to the link type in the three bold leter code in the box and download it to the root of your unit. It should work. If you don?t like it delete it.
link

Last edited:
Yes dhn, they are in the root of the unit
(plus in a folder just for giggles)

Either way, when I turn my unit on, they are not in there for me to choose.

Ask a Question