no data on go720

A friend tried to "hack" tom tom go 720. He tried to copy the operation files from his tom tom to mine. now all the files on mine are gone. and his do not work.. He opened it in windows explorer highlighted all the files and deleted them like it was a flash drive. Is there anything i can do? could i copy the files off of another tom tom go 720?

A friend tried to "hack" tom tom go 720. He tried to copy the operation files from his tom tom to mine. now all the files on mine are gone. and his do not work.. He opened it in windows explorer highlighted all the files and deleted them like it was a flash drive. Is there anything i can do? could i copy the files off of another tom tom go 720?
The operating files can all be had from TomTom's server. What cannot is your map.

Someplace, somewhere on your PC, either because you updated a map, or because you were smart and did a backup at some point, you need to hope you still have your map folder out there. Without that, you're in deep trouble. Thank your friend for that.

Look here: My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/complete/map. Any folders there? North_America_2GB?

Look here: My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backups/GO. Any folders there? North_America_2GB?

Look here: My Documents/TomTom/HOME/FromDevice. Do you see a North_America_2GB folder there?

Or is there any chance you ever did a manual backup of the contents of your 720 yourself?

The maps are the key to this. They cannot be copied between units (something your not-so-bright friend should have ascertained before putting you into this ditch. He owes you!). We need to hope you have a copy of it somewhere on a PC where your 720 has been connected.

Last edited:
I have found a toc file named that and a zip file named the same. so what do i do now? i power up my tom tom and it goes through the initial set up procedure everytime and gets to the end and it says no maps found. on a gray screen.

Please be more specific. Do you have a North_America_2GB folder on your unit with many files in it? Where is the North_America.zip file you referred to? On the unit or on your computer?

I have found a toc file named that and a zip file named the same. so what do i do now? i power up my tom tom and it goes through the initial set up procedure everytime and gets to the end and it says no maps found. on a gray screen.
Sounds like you may survive this one after all. Of the many options above, where are those files actually located on your PC?

Ask a Question