Newbie question about POI

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
Hello guys I just received a TOMTOM One 3rd edition for christmas. Ive been messing around with it a bit and browsing through this forum. My main question is what is the difference between the preinstalled POI and the ones which can be downloaded from this site? For instance almost every gas station, restaurant (even the small mom and pop shops) showed up on the map on my way to work this morning. I did just do the free map update last night, so is there really a reason for me to download the POI files from this site?

The built-in POIs can't be modified. So the downloaded ones are to fill the gap. They tend to be specialized into things like 'Starbucks', etc.

The built-in ones will show you restaurants, but they are all lumped together. So if you are a McDonald's fan, you may find a specialized list for this particular restaurant with it's own icon, so it stands out from the rest.

The downloadable ones must be copied to the map folder in order to work. The files come in pairs - a .ov2 file and a .bmp file with the same name.

Don't turn on too many POIs at once or your TomTom will lag.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a max size to the ov2 file? I couldn't find the information on the site / elsewhere. If so, is it unit specific? I just merged a couple of overlay files and got a monster with like 6000 listings. I haven't tried copying it over yet because I'm trying to be super cautious. - Thanks.

Ask a Question