Newbie TT question about VIA 1530/1535

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1530TM
I just purchased a TT Via 1530 from a local store (I think it’s the same as the 1535).

Anyway, love it so far, but have a few questions:

* Is there a way to display map scale in 2D mode? (ie, 800ft, .5 miles, etc..)

* Is there a way to display elevation? I googled the forum and the answer appears to be no. What’s the best way to get this on my 1530?

* Is there a way to tweak the auto zoom range? I mostly want to zoom out a bit more on the highway when I am driving at high speed. I think it currently limits to a zoom scale about .2 miles or so, I’d like something like .5 miles or .8 miles…

Thanks!

1- Not that have seen, although I've got the GO1535, not the Via
2- No. Earlier models allowed for running of 3rd party applications. That's how we got elevation in the 'old days'
3- If you aren't happy with the default auto-zoom levels, you can set them to suit yourself. Some units, including yours, allow for separate 2D and 3D zoom, but first, you would need to disable auto-zoom. My menu may be somewhat different, but see
Settings / Advanced settings / Next - until you see Zoom settings
Uncheck boxes for both "Enable automatic zooming in 2D view" and the one for "3D view" as well.
You can now control the zoom level manually with the + and - keys in the upper corners of the screen, and set them differently for 2D and 3D modes, and those zoom levels will be remembered.

I tend to set the 2D (map, north up) view to a very wide zoom - just enough to assure all streets are shown, and the 3D view to a much closer zoom level so I can see intersections clearly.

Thanks for the reply!

If I disable auto-zoom in 2D, it will stay at whatever I set it to regardless of my speed correct? I like auto-zoom as it shows me the streets / intersections better, just wondering if I can tweak the high speed setting so it zooms out a little more... But perhaps there isn't a way...

Nope.. the only way to set the zoom level is with auto zoom off.
With it on, it just does what it likes....

Thanks! I got a separate question on how to install voice.

I installed MyTomTom on my XP machine. It runs fine, and says my device is all up to date. I then went and "purchased" a free voice, the transaction went fine, and I got a invoice email as well. But then what??

It says I'll get a download link in the email, but it's 30 minutes and still no email. MyTomTom still says device is up to date. I disconnected and connected the device, same thing. I checked the device, the voice is not there.

If I right click and say "add community content" on mytomtom, it goes to 169.254.255.1. My browser says "network is unreachable".

If it's suppose to work automatically, ie, MyTomTom will automatically 'see' my purchase and upload it to the GPS without me needing to do anything, how does mytomtom tie my purchase to my gps unit? I didn't register the GPS or anything.

You are mistaking the functionality of MyTomTom with that of Home 2 where you could add a voice to a unit directly. You can use Add Community Content to add voices in MyTomTom when the unit is connected to the computer BUT it should lead to a webpage where you can browse ON YOR COMPUTER for the location of the requisite files to add to the unit.

It seems you do need that email link to get the files necessary.

Call CS at 866-486-6866 to pursue the issue.

I'm just not sure what you mean by 'purchased' a FREE voice. From where? Can you clarify?

The voices are 'purchased' from tomtom.com, under voices, free. I see a bunch of voices with flags, picked the one I went, and continued all the way to check out..

Got confirmation email. but when I click "my tomtom" on the web page, and select "check new items", nothing is shown..

ps. My Tomtom website does list my unit now, so it's connected.

Looks like they've finally got voice downloads working on the TT website dhn...First I've seen of it too, but I don't have a NAV3 machine pointing at the right place, so can't try it.

I called CS and was able to got the issue resolved, accidentally. ;) The root cause is a proxy server issue. But the symptom was very difficult to pinpoint it in the right direction. Everything looks fine (unit shows up on the website, etc) except I just don't see any downloads. The CS had me configure a different port number in the tomtom app, and that's where I saw the proxy setting and changed it. Then it worked. So part of the app is not able to talk to the server, but there was no error msg.

Once that's resolved, I was able to update the app, get the voice, and even update the maps too. I noticed quite a few changes, and the unit was slightly less sluggish when entering data in the UI after the update. It's good to see that Tomtom's working on improving this.

I took the unit on a recent trip, together with a Garmin 1450 that I am also testing. I am having a hard time deciding which one to keep, if at all. ;)

- I really like TomTom's dashboard. One key toggle between 2D and 3D, multiple data in one data tab field. Feels like it's targeted toward the more sophisticated user that appreciates all the data the GPS can offer.

- Map redraw on the TomTom is very fast (ie, no waiting..). Everything shows up immediately. UI interaction is a different story however, quite sluggish. This is my first TomTom so I don't know how other units compare. But the Garmin in comparison was extremely snappy.

- But map redraw on the Garmin is utterly slow. When I go on the highway, and the unit zooms out to .5 miles, sometimes it takes 5-7 seconds for the map to completely redraw. Sometimes I see half of the map rotating while the rest is just blank. This is utterly unacceptable. ;)

- The garmin computes routes much faster than the Tomtom. It's not as noticeable on short routes, but a big difference on a 200 miles route of which most is highway.

- I really miss the 'elevation' data. Road trips are where I really start to use my GPS, and elevation data would make the GPS so much more enjoyable to look at. This is almost a deal breaker for me.. I am having a hard time understanding why such fundamental GPS data is not presented. I hope it's not because of some idiots may sue them for displaying inaccurate data. ;)

- I would like to be able to tweak the auto-zoom upper limit in 2D mode. The default setting is too small, about 500-800ft (based on what the Garmin shows me), and not useful for looking at the map when driving on highway for long period of time. You generally want to be able to see more of your surroundings. The garmin defaults to a .5 mile zoom on highway speed, and when you zoom out further, the new setting is remembered. That's a good design. I wish the Tomtom would allow you to adjust it, or just remember the user setting.

- The tomtom's speaker is much better quality than the Garmins. I am referring to the speaker, not the actual voice. The garmin speaker produces a slight 'hiss' whenever it is on, and sometimes the voice would vibrate a bit. All signs of a poor quality speaker. The tomtom on the other hand is excellent. Loud, and clear. (and speed sensitive based on latest firmware...)

The Garmin has a 'more data' map view where 4 data fields are displayed on the right (along with elevation). I used it when I got into the mountains to see the elevation data, but the design is terrible. The fields are way too big and takes up too much map space. I much prefer Tomtom's more compact, efficient data display.

- For much of the trip, the 1535's traffic display is just a hourglass. It's not getting any data. It should've just hide it instead of showing me an hourglass for 3 hours. ;)

Overall, the Garmin feels slightly more polished. The slow map redraw and silly data field layout in 'more data' mode is the main pain point for me. The tomtom has some good things going for it, I really enjoy the dashboard view. I can live with the sluggish UI, but if I can't change or tweak the upper auto zoom limit on highway, it's a deal breaker for me.

I guess there's no perfect GPS. ;)

Ask a Question