Newbie with a question.

Hello

Being somewhat new to this technology I am wondering why Tom Tom allows the user the option to turn on or turn off the time synchronization of the clock? Does it make any sense not to have the correct time displayed on the unit? Who would not want the astoundingly accurate atomic time displayed on their GPS device? The whole Global Positioning System relies on extremely accurate measurement of time and the time signal sent from GPS satellites is the most accurate time signal in the world. All GPS hand held devices, Garmin, Magellan, DeLorme, etc., do not offer the option to turn on or turn off time synchronization of their clock because it is a ridiculous and useless option. The users of these hand held units have no choice in the matter. They, shudder, are exposed to the atomic synchronized time, all the time.

My older TomTom doesn't even have the "sync" option to set the clock and the built in clock really isn't any better than a Mickey Mouse Timex.

ruko

All TomToms to my knowledge will show the 'sync' button ONCE a gps signal is being received by the unit.

Newbie with a question

Why even show a "sync" button? Do you not want the correct time on your TomTom ALL the time? Is there any reason to choose NOT to sync the time to the satellite signal? Why not continuously sync the units clock to the satellite? It can't be that difficult. All the handhelds do. My Garmin Street Pilot c530 syncs the clock automatically. It displays the correct atomic time, all the time. I don't have to wade through menus to set the clock.

An "auto time sync" function would hardly be a ground breaking innovation worthy of selling navigation units IMHO, lets face it if the internal clock drifts out by a few minutes per week its not going to affect the IQ Routes feature, if its more than a few minutes out the user has the option to hit the "Sync" button.

Sure its something that should be possible assuming the device has a GPS position fix, devoid of positional data though who knows what time it would pick, consider a re-boot while on the highway at high speed for whatever reason and the 5+ minutes it takes to regain the sat signal...... - Mike

Newbie with a question

If it's hardly ground breaking innovation I wonder why TomTom didn't do it? Garmin, a leader in GPS technology, thought it was a good idea and continues to install this "hardly ground breaking technology" in their units. I have never seen my Garmin display an erratic time do to loss of satellite data. It just keeps on ticking and when satellite data is re-acquired it re-syncs all by itself. I have never seen a 5 minute reboot with this Garmin. If TomTom requires 5 minutes to reboot after loss of signal, I would consider this another reason not to purchase.

ruko

Ask a Question