A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE

TomTom Model(s)
go 520
TT 520.
1. I have two 'identical' PC's running XP. I am sure I installed HOME independently via the Internet. One PC took in excess of 40 mins to Backup - the little blue bar's movement barely being perceptible and created about 1.5Gb of files on the PC. The other took a few mins and used 46Mb - Can anyone hazard a guess as to what I did wrong?
2. I am a bit scared to toy with Backup - If I use it incorrectly it is easy to see I will 'corrupt' the TomTom and not be able to RESTORE correctly. The script says it will back up EVERYTHING on the SatNav, but I can't imagine wanting to, or the need to Backup maps (which are static files I assume) more than once? Is there anything other than MAPS on the SD card? Are the operating choices well enough explained for 'an ordinary user' to handle without error?

Whoa.......

We don't recommend using Home at all for backups/restores.

Instead, use Explorer. See here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Now then, if you do have a sdhc card installed on your unit, you may have backed that up (smaller size) as well as the main internal backup (larger sized backup .. and longer to do).

So, use the information in the link I provided to do an Explorer backup. If you also DO have a card installed, use Explorer for that backup as well BUT make sure you give the folder location for the card backup a DIFFERENT name than the one for internal.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (2)

Dear dhn at TomTom Forums,

Thank you for the prompt and helpful reply.

I am pleased that you don’t recommend using Home for backups/restores because I am much more comfortable with the control offered by doing it ‘manually’ under Explorer.
So, without using Home, I am confident enough to do manual backups and restores. However I now have a few new questions – I hate to put upon you in this way - Please tell me if you want me to start new threads for question 3 and 4 below!

1. Your ‘not recommending’ something which I found as procedure in the TomTom official Help Topics leaves me with the problem: Where should I look for ‘correct’ help?

2. My Go 520 has a Kingston 2Gb SD card (I assume this to be where the maps are? – unfortunately the filenames don’t give confirmation of this) which Explorer’s Properties shows (Removable Disc F: capacity of 1.83Gb with 1.53Gb being used. The Internal (F: shows a capacity of 489Mb with only 47.9Mb being used.
I mention these sizes because they seem to be the opposite way round, in terms of size, to what you said in your email, I think you said the main Internal was larger and External HCSD card was smaller? Am I confused?

3. Can you see anything wrong with my buying another SD card and doing my Card (Maps?) backup to that as opposed to my PC’s hard disc? (I do a very old-fashioned backup of my PCs regularly and don’t want an extra 1.53Gb load of static maps being repeatedly secured.) Is there any special formatting of the card I should observe? Does my TomTom use a Micro, Mini or Standard SD card?

4. Finally, I assumed that HOME was a compulsory tool to stop me using a copy of someone else’s maps. What I have described in ‘3’ above apparently gets around that – which I don’t think can be right and is not my intention. Where is my assumption wrong?

I am very grateful for your help – Thank you again! DonCorbata

1. Many of TomTom's various help topics are correct. In theory, so is the one about using Home for backup/restores. That said, there is a link somewhere in Home where, indeed, TT DOES suggest making the backup using Explorer (or Finder, if a Mac). Bottom line: if you have doubts about what you see in a Help file, ask for clarification in a forum such as this! :)

2. The internal storage on a 520 is 1 gb BUT you can have up to a 32 gb SDHC (not sd) card installed as well. The application is likely on internal and the map is on the sdhc (is that what you meant, not sd?) card. That's likely the 1.53gb reported as being used.

3. That device uses a SDHC card, not SD. If you want to back up to another SDHC card (should be formatted as fat32) and set it aside, rather than copying to the computer, that's ok. Mind you, the lifecycle of reads/writes to a sdhc card may be less than than of a hard drive. However, you should be ok,

4. Home is not for the prevention of using a map not allocated to your device as such. You could copy a map from another device to yours using Explorer but it still won't work. When a map is first installed on a device, an activation file is created which precluded the the use of a map in more than one device, regardless of how the map got on the device--using Home or using Explorer. In fact, Home won't normally let you copy a map to your device in the first place if not meant for your device.

There is one exception to the above: in the UK, my understanding is that some maps are still sold on sd cards (rather than the user getting the maps via a download). These maps on a sd card (from tomTom) can be used in more than one device.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (3)

Dear dhn,

Another great and informative reply - Thank you so much!

Hate to appear argumentative/pedantic, but . .

As I said, (in 2 of previous reply), my Internal capacity shows as 489Mb – which I think can be referred to as half a Gb. You say the 520 has 1Gb Internal! Is there something wrong or are there different versions of the 520?

Also, can a different/version of the 520 model be accountable for my apparently having an SD card instead of what you, almost certainly correctly, ‘insist’ on referring to as an SDHC card. The card has printed on it “2GB”, “KINGSTON Technology” and in bottom rt. hand corner “SD/2GB”. That explains why I, possibly incorrectly, am calling it an SD card!

I especially want to know about the card type and specification because I intend to buy one (on the Internet and hence it will be unseen) and I don’t want to get the wrong one! That also explains why I asked about the card being Micro, Mini or Standard! Can you comment further on this please?

Thanks Once Again! Doncorbata

Supposedly a Go 520, 630 or 720/730 as well as 920 & 930 may be able to handle simple sd cards though a sdhc card is handled much better.

My understand is the 520 has 1 GB of internal storage. Maybe there is a model with just .5 GB as well???

When you look at the contents using Windows Explorer, what does it show as being on the internal?

You want a mini sdhc card, the faster the speed (class 6+ or better). Get a 4 GB or 8 GB card if you can.

BUT...........................

If you are planning to buy online, avoid buying from a site such as ebay. Often the stuff there is crappy and not as described when you receive it.

Stick to a known brand: Kingston, SanDisk are two of them. I think Transend is another.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (3)

Dear dhn at TomTom Forums,

Thanks Again! I think we're getting to the end of my queries!

The Internal size, as given via Properties under Explorer is
Capacity 512,782,336bytes 489 MB

And Thank you for your advice on the Spec for the card and 'where not to buy'

A sincere Thank You - DonCorbata

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (4)

Sorry! Sorry! It's me again! I really need Help.

After my last word to you, I decided to look at the size of my "TomTom Western Europe " card. That all went well and it turned out to be have Capacity 2,003,435,520bytes - 1.86GB. (The internal size was,as expected, the same as with my UK card) I then, under Explorer, correctly closed down the connection and with the tomtom disconected from the pc switched it on . . .
I now have a screen which has a collage of pictures within a 'house' shaped frame with the narrative 'Smarter on the move' bottom left and TomTom bottom right.
I cant switch off, I can't wake it up by touching the screen, I have tried the reset (lightly pushing with a paper clip) all to no avail . .
If it did not have the screen described I would say it was 'dead' Have you any ideas?

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (5)

Absolutely nothing! But I eventually, with great relief got the reset button working (I know! I know! How difficult can that be? I'm embarrased to hell about that! I panicked!)

Now, after a reset - without a card, I get 'No maps Found' I then switch off and either. . . .

a) Having inserted UK card, switch on again. All is well and I have a working SatNav

b) Having inserted the Western European card and switched on again it appears to be loading but stops at the "Smarter on the Move" screen described earlier - I.e. it appears, apart fron a visible screen to be dead.

At least I am back to having a UK facility. But I would like to ask you if there is anything obvious that I am doing wrong or should I be suspecting the European card?

I am sorry I am so much trouble! DonCorbata

I'm sorry but I'm not acquainted with a screen as you describe in b) in your post.

Tell me again what kind of card the Western_Europe map is on. Is it sd or sdhc. What sized card in gb?

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (6)

The card is a genuine (or claims to be) TomTom issued card.
It has printed on it "TomTom (and the hands free logo)" then "Western Europe" and in the bottom left corner the SD icon.
I would say it is an 'SD' because that is what's on it, but I could be wrong!
It has a "Capacity (2,003,435,520bytes) - 1.86GB." This size is borne out by that reported when being read under Explorer but via a free standing card reader as opposed to via the TomTom. It has plenty of files with no apparent defects.

Are there perchance any settings in the TomTom software which have to be 'activated' as a precursor to changing the card (maps)?

Not that I'm aware........

Hopefully, someone else will partake of this thread and provide you with more advice.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (7)

What can I say? You have been great! You don't know how useful you have been - suggesting different things and helping me when it must have appeared that I was 'working against you' or even trying to 'wind you up'.

I am truly grateful for all your time and helpful input!

You are forever excused from picking up any 'queries' from DonCorbata! Thanks

Supposedly a Go 520, 630 or 720/730 as well as 920 & 930 may be able to handle simple sd cards though a sdhc card is handled much better.

@dhn... My understanding was that any TomTom that can use SDHC cards can use normal SD cards just as well.

The chart on the TT website here seems to confirm that.

The only confusing thing about that page is that if you have a model that takes "micro" sized cards, they are all described as "MicroSD" even though almost all micro cards are actually SDHC.
(Wikipaedia used to say that ALL micro SD cards are SDHC, but that's been changed now).

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (7)

Dear Andy_P,

Thank you! The 'Choosing a Memory Card' link is great - very helpful.

It seems my Go 520 can take SD, SDHC (and TomTom Micro SD 4GB in which I am not interested I think that the micro size needs an adapteor).
I want to buy a bog standard 2GB SD card that fits into my TomTom. But I still don't know if I want a Mini or Standard specification. I think there are three physical sizes, but the pictures I have seen in adverts indicate that there is no fixed STANDARD Nomenclature! If all TomToms take the same physical size can you tell me what that is called?

They don't all take the same size.

Older ones have a full-sized slot, newer ones have a "micro SD" sized slot.

That's the only TWO sizes you need to think about.

Now, any micro-SD card can be put into an adapter to fit into a full-sized slot, BUT you would have to remember that micro-SD is in fact SDHC technology so it will only work in a slot that is designed for SDHC.

Rest assured you can (and should) get an SDHC card for your Go520. Whether you get a full-sized card or a micro-sized card with an adapter is entirely up to you. Sometimes one type is cheaper than the other.

Personally, I'd go for a 4GB card... it means you can fit a full Europe map onto it (it won't fit on 2GB any more)

Hope that clears it up.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (8)

Dear Andy_P,

Thank you! With the table you sent earlier everything is clear and I know exactly what I need and want.

My problem, not well articulated, had to do with matching my requirements (say a 2GB SD or SDHC) to what is advertised on the market. Because I also use SD cards in my cameras I am aware that, although as you say "That's the only TWO sizes you need to think about", there is at least one other size in existence muddying the water. There does not seem to be a standard naming convention for the three different physical sizes - and using simple English adjectives does not cope - an example would appear to be what you refer to as 'full-size slot' being in my mind really a 'middle-size slot'. But that assumes there are only three physical sizes!

You have helped me, and I am grateful. ThankYou! - DonCorbata

Hi Don.

In situations like this, I always look to Wikipaedia :)

That shows pictures and dimensions for the three sizes of card available:

200px-SD_Cards.svg.png

And here's how they name them:

1. "SD" (that's the full sized one , but it came first, so there was no need to give it a more descriptive name!). That's the one used on older TomToms.

2. "Mini SD" - I don't think that size is used much now, and it certainly hasn't been use on any TomTom models (That's why I said you only need to worry about TWO sizes)

3. "Micro SD" As used on new TomToms.

Those names ONLY describe the physical size, any or all of them can come in the two technologies - SD and SDHC and of course in many different speeds and capacities (I nearly said "sizes" there!).

And like all these things, people tend to get lazy when talkinng about them and just say "put an SD card in it", when they might really mean a micro SDHC.

A couple of Backup questions - from a NEWBIE (9)

Dear Andy_P,

Thanks for you patience withme!

That wraps it up - I feel I am an expert! Thanks again!

DonCorbata

Ask a Question