Please help newbie with simple questions

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 TM
Hey guys, i have a few questions for you. I have a TomTom XXL 540TM and I cant find how to turn on the Read Aloud Street Names option. In the voice preferences menu, that option is greyed out. I've tried many voices, regular, and computer, but I still cant make it work.

Also, Is it possible for my TomTom to let me know if I missed my turn? Right now, it just recomputes and doesnt notify me of my errors.

Lastly, regarding the Advanced Lane Guidance, I live in a relatively small town and I've never seen a "photorealistic" picture like this. From my understanding, that feature only works for big metro areas, is this correct?

Hey guys, i have a few questions for you. I have a TomTom XXL 540TM and I cant find how to turn on the Read Aloud Street Names option. In the voice preferences menu, that option is greyed out. I've tried many voices, regular, and computer, but I still cant make it work.
Let's start with that one. You need to be sure you have selected a 'computer voice' in order to have street names pronounced. If you fire up home and look at the voice options already loaded, you should see at least one of these, and a number of non-computer voices.

There are two types of voices. The 'computer' voice that performs what is called 'text to speech', and the 'analog' or 'recorded' voices that know only how to say simple phrases. The former will attempt to take map text for street names and pronounce them. The latter are good for "turn" "left" and "miles", but no names.

Lets get the other two questions out of the way, as they are quick to answer. Then we can concentrate on the voice one.

Also, Is it possible for my TomTom to let me know if I missed my turn? Right now, it just recomputes and doesnt notify me of my errors.

No. It will just recalculate, as quick as it can.
If it's original route was still the best, then it will often say "Turn around when possible" (that's if it cannot find a quick way to turn you round using a few side roads).

But if it finds that by missing your turn off, a new route is now going to be quicker, it will stick with the way you are going and calculate a route using that instead.

Lastly, regarding the Advanced Lane Guidance, I live in a relatively small town and I've never seen a "photorealistic" picture like this. From my understanding, that feature only works for big metro areas, is this correct?

Correct (almost!)
To use TomTom's names for them....
The "ALG" is actually the small lane arrows in the status bar at the bottom. You should see those for most junctions.

But the "Reality View" images are only there for some major roads. Each new map version seems to increase the number available though.

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same on an XXL,but on my TomTom Go's they are turned on or off individually:

ALG is switched on or off in Change preferences / Status bar preferences / "Show lane guidance"

RV is switched on or off in Change preferences / Advanced preferences / "Show lane images"

Ask a Question