newbie questions - easyport and itineraries/waypoints

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom XL IQ Routes (European Edition) - I think
Hi,

I have only just started driving about 3 months ago and have only recently invested in a TomTom XL IQ Routes European edition (as I needed to get outside of my own borough and county! - and hopefully at some point country). I have used it for about 100 miles of driving and predictably I have a few questions:

1) The Easyport; does this only stick on glass? The better position for me in the car would be a bit closer than at the bottom middle of my windscreen. I'm aware that I could get a custom dock, or other kind of clip to hold it, I'm just figuring the Easyport only sticks to glass as it wouldn't stick to anywhere on my dash? (the instructions didn't say but it only implied that it can be stuck on the windscreen). Also is there an easy way to remove it, getting it off of the windscreen was a pain ( I put it in the unlock position and really had to yank it hard to get it off).

2) Waypoints and Itineraries: Just to see if the itinerary planning worked (usually A-B route planning is fine - but I was just curious to see if it worked so you could force a route) I plotted a route from where I live via the Petrol Station and round the local 5 mile one way system - which I drive home from work around. I plotted 8-10 waypoints so it couldn't deviate and back to my house. Everything looks like it's going fine, and I get to my first waypoint at the Petrol Station and then it cuts me off totally (e.g. you have reached your destination and doesn't tell you how to get to the next destination).

It's fine as I know where I'm going, but the last thing that I wanted to do was try and reach over whilst still moving and find the right screen to move it onto the next waypoint. When I came to the next set of lights that I had to stop at, I was 3 waypoints on. As I was stopped I had a chance to make the half dozen presses to move it onto the right waypoint.

Is there a clever way round this as it is obviously a useful function, but I just couldn't get it to work the way I wanted to - 6-7 presses in traffic whilst moving is awkward. If I'd done an A-B Route Plan it wouldn't have been possible as I was effectively doing a loop and could only have one via point, when I needed at least 5.

If I need this Skipwaypoint 3rd Party Application as a quick fix - I completely understand that I can't discuss this here but I would be just grateful for anyone's thoughts on a potential way round this and what the best way to handle such a query is.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
The Easyport; does this only stick on glass?

I've never tried an easyport on anything but glass so I'm not sure what else it sticks to. I think there are adhesive discs included in the box that make it easier to attach to the dash.

Also is there an easy way to remove it, getting it off of the windscreen was a pain ( I put it in the unlock position and really had to yank it hard to get it off).

Once you finish loosening the rotary dial, there should be a tab on the side of the rubber suction that you can pull. Pull that and the whole easyport should come off easily

If I need this Skipwaypoint 3rd Party Application as a quick fix - I completely understand that I can't discuss this here but I would be just grateful for anyone's thoughts on a potential way round this and what the best way to handle such a query is.

When you go to itinerary planning mode, by default you add stops as "destinations". When you're in itinerary planning, tap on the interim stop and then tap "mark as waypoint" if you want the Tomtom to continue on to the next location.

Also, Tomtom won't auto sort waypoints, you have to put them in the itinerary planning list in the order that you want to travel.

Thanks....

Thanks for the tips. It definitely doesn't stick to plastic or it doesn't seem to stick to anything in the 207 that isn't glass! (and I didn't get any adhesive disks with it but having said that I think I'm now happier with the spot I've chosen on the windscreen). I still can't get it off of the windscreen easily but at least it isn't falling off by itself.

The waypoint tip was really helpful as well. I can't think of anything more that I need it to do now - as long as I pick the right lane off of the map you can't go wrong :)

Thanks

Ask a Question