XL330
Perhaps some one in this forum can explain this. I was setting up
a route on my XL330S, from Crystal River Fl to Port Charlotte/Punta
Gorda. I added one waypoint to get the TT to take a good shortcut
east of Brooksville to southbound I75. Using the fastest option, the
TT totally ignored the waypoint. Using the shortest option, the TT
honored the waypoint but routed me through a lot of Brooksville
residential streets. I then changed the waypoint to a specific address
and the TT honored the waypoint with the fastest option?
I reported this to TT support and they forwarded it to the "appropriate"
department. I also sent copies of the 2 ITN files that the TT created.

Failing file:
-8230296|2848973|Spring Lake FL|0|
-8205763|2697978|Loveland Blvd 3300, Punta Gorda FL|2|

This worked:
-8230340|2848867|3491 Spring Lake Hwy CO HWY 41/CO HWY 541|0|
-8205763|2697978|Loveland Blvd 3300, Punta Gorda FL|2|

If anyone knows why this happens, I would appredciate the education.
app:8.010
map us&can V815.2022

Last edited:
Understand that waypoints are just positions along a route. It's still the routing algorithm of TomTom deciding how it's going to send you through the waypoints to your destination.

If you are using itineraries, add more waypoints. The more there are, the less chance for the routing to deviate from the spots you want to visit.

The difference between bug and a missing feature

A common theme across all GPS's is that a city with no exact address or coordinates is treated as a point in the center of the city or somewhere in the downtown district. Therefore any attempt to go through that city will mean passing through those exact coordinates. Even the "Anywhere" feature of TomTom devices (i.e. setting a destination or waypoint as anywhere along a specific street) is an algorithm to select specific coordinates that make the most sense given your current location and final destination.

A bug? Perhaps to us, but TomTom would see this more as a "missing feature" than software gone awry.

Please send your request (including your specific example, which is fantastic by the way) to TomTom Support through the web site (the same way that you would ask a question) so they can file it as a requested feature and we can all benefit.

I previously posted the above based on a quick read, but upon rereading the question, I realized waypoints shouldn't be ignored completely. That's definitely a bug. If it persists after clearing flash and a hard reboot, report it to Support.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I had reported it using the online support functions. I also included copies of the two ITN files. The problem has been marked as solved. They did say they were forwarding it to the appropriate department.
I hope it is the department in charge of programming the navigation functions.
By the way Spring Lake Highway is one of the coolest roads in Florida. It has some rather steep hills much like a roller coaster.:D

Ask a Question