An unusual but very welcome update experience

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 WTE, Via 1505, XXL TM
Today, I plugged in for mapshare updates a Tomtom XXL WTE which had something on the order of 845 series maps of NA and the EU. I had linked it to an email account many months ago but when I would update, it was just offered mapshare corrections and the ephemeris fix. This was a fresh install of the latest stock Tomtom Home on a different PC.

When I logged it into Home today, I was offered at no cost brand spanking new series 915 maps of North America and Western and Central Europe. I had to make sure I was awake. Sure enough. So I now have brand new free maps. The only downside is the Europe map is so large, it has to be parked on the PC when the NA Map is loaded and vice versa. Don't say this very often, but thanks Tomtom.

When you first bought your device, did you take advantage of the Latest Map Guarantee?

Sounds as if that is why you got the current maps today.

Home said latest map guarantee had expired. this is three - four years old. It has been updating routine minor things for 2-3 years. Not like the first time it was ever connected. The maps are 845, which are what, late 2010?

When I logged it into Home today, I was offered at no cost brand spanking new series 915 maps of North America and Western and Central Europe. I had to make sure I was awake. Sure enough. So I now have brand new free maps. The only downside is the Europe map is so large, it has to be parked on the PC when the NA Map is loaded and vice versa. Don't say this very often, but thanks Tomtom.
I am more than a bit surprised that you were offered the updated map of Europe in addition to North America. There was a bit of a fuss over the WTE map updates because the advertising implied that such updates would be available, but TomTom provided updates only for North America. It turned out that this was the way they had specified it IF you read the wording very, very carefully, but most people did not spot that.

Sounds like you lucked out in more ways than one. Congratulations.

- Tom -

Ask a Question