New TT User, Need advise

Hello,
I just got my TomTom 720 couple of days ago and I have a slight problem.

I do not have a Windows PC of my own to install Home Software. The one Laptop I have is owned by my office and they do not allow installing 3rd party applications.

Is there a way to upgrade firmware and maps on the device manually by mounting it as a USB drive? I am able to mount it on my Linux desktop and browse through the folders without any issues.

If this is possible, please let me know. I think the built in firmware is 7.1 or 7.3

Thanks

-Zeek

The only reference to Linux on the TT website is this:

What are the changes compared to Linux 2.4?The changes Tomtom made were to access TomTom GO hardware. Some drivers were added.

Now, the o/s in TT IS written in Linux, for what that's worth. But I guess you'll have to wait for someone here knowledgeable in that area to assist or you'll have to call TT Support.

DHN,
I am unable to find that information on tomtom.com website. Can you please post the link?

I am able to mount the device just fine without any extra changes to my desktop.

What I would like to do or know if there is a way to upgrade the firmware manually without the requirement of a Windows PC.

Thanks

-Zeek

iwannasave,

I have installed tomtom home in the past using wine. This has worked previously but now complains about incorrecting using some cab file or some other bs. My guess is an older version of the Home software will have the best chance of working. I don't know if there are any limitations of getting up to date with old versions of home. I have since installed Home on a windows install in vmware.

I did try to install the version (1.6x) that came on the CDROM, but CrossOver Office could not install it.

I hope there is a way to update the maps manually or I have to purchase a copy of MS Windows and put it on a PC and I really do not want to go through that ordeal again.

Zeek

Ask a Question