New user needs help!

I got a TomTom One 130S today and I turned it on, right out of the box, and it worked ok. I then tried to hook it to my computer, it downloaded the softwarda and everything seemed to be working ok. When it tried to update my softward on my TomTom, the TomTom HOME screen said a new application has been installed and I need to restart my device. It says to disconnect it, reconnect it and then answer yes if it asks to connect to computer. As soon as I disconnect it, the screen on my TomTom shows a picture of the device with a big red circle and a white X in it. When I reconnect it, it shows something happening with the USB cord on the little picture and then nothing happens. I can't use the maps and I can't do anything with it. I've tried restarting the TomTom, rebooting my computer, etc. I'm at my wits end with this thing and am getting to the point where I'm ready to fire this thing agains the wall.:mad:

When try to disconnect and reconnect my TomTom, I then get a message on my TomTomHOME page that says that the function isn't supported for my TomTom device.

Anyone have any advice to keep me from getting rid of this thing and getting something else. I always heard that TomTom devices were foolproof, but clearly, I may be the fool for buying this thing.

Sounds as if you disconnected the unit before you should have. You do not want to disconnect when it says to. You need to use Home's menu option for Device-->Disconnect and even then you wait until your unit cycles through to the connect to computer screen question. Then say 'no' and finally power off.

Do a pin reset on the bottom of your unit for about 5 seconds and see if that helps the situation.

Sounds as if you disconnected the unit before you should have. You do not want to disconnect when it says to. You need to use Home's menu option for Device-->Disconnect and even then you wait until your unit cycles through to the connect to computer screen question. Then say 'no' and finally power off.

Do a pin reset on the bottom of your unit for about 5 seconds and see if that helps the situation.

It told me to disconnect, but then when I do, it says there is an error because I disconnected it.

How do you pin reset it? Sorry if I sound like an idiot for asking, but I've been at my wits end with this thing for going on 6 hours now.

If there is not, then hold the power button for at least 10-15 seconds to force a reboot of the system.

I did that and it didn't work. I have however seemed to have solved my problem (I just hope I didn't create bigger ones). I found an old thread on here about someone having the red circle in the lower right corner with the X. To solve their problem, they deleted the loose files in the drive with the TomTom plugged in. So, I figured what the hell and I did that and then rebooted it. After disconnecting it thru TomTomHOME, it started working again.

I then did a reinstall of the files I was missing. Hope this makes it work ok.

Thanks for all the help everyone,

Ask a Question