Need help from Mac users.

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL 330
Hi,

I'm on a macbook and as you know, assuming you use a Mac, when you transfer files to a usb or any other external drive, mac sometimes adds extra hidden files that start with a period in front of the file name. Well, on my TT these hidden files show up and disturb my TT's function.

For example, when I drag newly made POIs into my map folder. When later using my TT and going to my POI categories, my TT shows both files, the file i wanted to move (the new poi) and also macs hidden file (the one that has a period in front of the filename).

My problem with this is that whenever I have these POI categories with periods on them, my TT's POI search does not work! I would search for simple things like Safeway near me and it would say 'POI Not Found'! This rendering my TT's search function useless. Also, I have a TT one 130 and I do not have a 'delete POI category' option like my bros 930 does, so I can't simply delete the extra category from within the GPS UI :(

But since I have a Macbook, I also have Vista loaded on it and I am able to fix this by having to boot into Vista and using explorer to delete these hidden ".filename" files from my TT that my mac created. After doing this everything, including POI search, works fine.

Any way to do this on the Mac OS? I'm fairly new to Mac, this being my first. I'm hoping that you (if any) veteran Mac users know of a way for me to be able to delete these hidden files from my GPS from within the Mac OS.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

PS: I'm tired of having to boot into Vista just to simply delete these hidden mac files from my GPS... :-(

PSS: Attached is an example of what my GPS sees. In this case, a new VTA Lightrail POI I created and transfered to my TT on my Mac OS.

Attachments

• 08-02-08_2009.jpg
    08-02-08_2009.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
If you're comfortable using Terminal, you can delete those files pretty easily.

Launch Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities.

If the disk name as shown as "INTERNAL" in the Finder, you'd then type 'cd /Volumes/INTERNAL/North_America_2GB' (without the quotes) and hit return.

Then type 'rm ".VTA Lightrail Station.ov2"' (omit the single quotes) and press return.

When you're done, type "exit" and quit the Terminal application.

That should remove those files.

Thank you so much for mentioning Terminal and the rm command. What I noticed though after executing this command is that I wanted a way for Terminal to show me the hidden files in a list so that I do not simply guess the hidden filename an execute an rm command. Hopefully a simple google search did the trick and found out the command is 'ls -la' (omitt the single quotes) So Now I simply use the CD command you mentioned earlier and to be sure I also execute an ls -la command to get the list, including hidden files, to get the file name right and then rm it.

Thanks again! No more booting Vista for this anymore :)

If you're comfortable using Terminal, you can delete those files pretty easily.

Launch Terminal, located in /Applications/Utilities.

If the disk name as shown as "INTERNAL" in the Finder, you'd then type 'cd /Volumes/INTERNAL/North_America_2GB' (without the quotes) and hit return.

Then type 'rm ".VTA Lightrail Station.ov2"' (omit the single quotes) and press return.

When you're done, type "exit" and quit the Terminal application.

That should remove those files.

Ask a Question