New Tom tom XL IQ V3 not starting

Hello,
I had received my tomtom XL IQ V3 edition day before yesterday with the UK & ROI maps preinstalled with 30 days Maps gurentee.
While updating the application for the first time through TT HOME, it ended up showing the error "Cannt write file data.chk". I then ran chkdsk to TT drive and my windows detected some data corruption. So I crazyly formatted the drive without taking any backup and reinstalled the latest application from TT home. It obviously showed "No Maps found" after starting.
I luckily recovered almost all files(including "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" folder) from the formatted drive using the recovery software. My recovered maps folder ("United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland") has got all
the required files. please see attached list of files. but looks like I was not able to recover the files at root
folder.(all other folders were recovered).
So now I have all preinstalled files except root folder files.
Then I reformatted the TT, copied all the recovered files and then reinstalled the latest IQ application from TT
home. But this time I got the following error in TT Home while connecting TT.

ERROR: Internal/Malformed#createItemFromDLL/Internal/Malformed: Exception: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device,

we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Malformed Item info:
name =
id =
version = 0
locationType = 1252
install location physicalType = 1502
metadata =

Severity: 1105
-
Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact

customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the

item.
Must not be empty
Bad value: "" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:43
let wrapper = new Exception(null, newId);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:54
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:315
itemList.addItemListFromDLL(doneLocation.deviceNavItems());
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:73
this._successCallback(this.successText);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:58
this._success();

CAUSE: Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or

contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-

install the item.
Must not be empty
Bad value: "" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/serverinput.js:84
throw new Malformed("Must not be empty", uc);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/serverinput.js:218
var str = this.nonemptystring(uc);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttNavItem.js:265
this._idstr = makeSafe.contentidstr(item.id);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/subtype/ttVoice.js:36
ttNavItem.prototype.importFromDLL.apply(this, arguments);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:39
result.importFromDLL(item);
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:54
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
7. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:315
itemList.addItemListFromDLL(doneLocation.deviceNavItems());
8. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
9. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:73
this._successCallback(this.successText);
10. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:58
this._success();

Time: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:50:02 GMT

Also during TT startup, It shows the starting logo and then turns off.

In TT Home, after connecting TT, I do not see "MAPS" item in "My device" but I see "applications", "Map overlap" etc.
Plz advice what to do next? Do you think there is any hardware problem?
please help

Attachments

• UK_Maps.JPG
    UK_Maps.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Well, for starters, you shouldn't be deleting files if you don't know the implications of doing so.

The extension .chk is indeed a 'recovered file' as far as Windows is concerned. The problem is that Tomtom's code is linux based and the .chk files are acceptable. The data.chk file is VITAL for proper running of the application.

Recovery tools can do a decent but not perfect job unless you opt for high end applications.

The only thing I can suggest is to make an Explorer backup of whatever contents on on your unit. don't use Home. Then, with the backup on the computer, delete all loose files in the root of the unit using Explorer.

Connect the unit to Home and you should be offered an application once more. Accept and install. Discnnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

Reboot. Does that help? If you are still getting the error, I'd take the unit back to where you got it.

Ask a Question