Tom tom go 720 not starting.

I have a problem with my gps not starting. It turns on and hangs on the start screen then has to be reset to turn off. Alll the threads I've read talk about re installing the installation program but this does not help, the problem seems to be in the startup before it gets to the programs. It's like a computer having a faulty bios before it gets to open windows. Does anybody know how to reinstall the base firmware? The actual bios that is use to startup the device and run the hardware before the installation program takes over.

Can you see the device and the files/ folders on it when you connect to your computer and use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the device - Mike

Yes I can. If they are installed. It has been formatted and and the files replaced many times, direct from Tom tom and Copied over from another 720 I have, . Even after it is formatted it still doesn't seem to be doing the right things (although they do not do much then anyway). like it never asks if I want to connect it to a computer.
If I copy the files over everything seems to works in tom tom home, except for the map of course. But if I let it do the re installation from tom tom and try to operate the device through home it says "operation not supported by device", and then when the computer tries to restart the device it hangs and does nothing. Either way once it it removed it will pause on start up and not turn off unless reset.

It's probably a hardware issue.

Have you tried copying the OS to an SD card instead of the internal memory?

Also, try letting it startup and hang, and then try the "Operate my device". It needs a startup after a format to write identification files needed by the "Operate my Device" app.

Ask a Question