New Software 8.010

I plugged in my ONE v2 last night, didn't get a firmware update

I'm questioning if those with a V2 or an LE (New Edition, V4) are going to get this update at all. If the following table is a complete listing, then we may be outta luck:
tomtomv8maj.gif

A couple of things I've noticed with the new software.

Previously I could see the TomTom weather while connected to my PC. It would use the internet connection. That no longer works and it now asks to connect to a cell phone.

If I want to operate my XL through Home, it asks to download a file every time I restart the Home program.

When I turn on my XL with it connected to the PC it not longer asks me if I want to connect to my PC right away. I must disconnect the usb cable and reinstall it and then it will ask.

What Version Of Home?

I'll ask again. Those people who have a One XL and are working ok in Home, what version of Home do you have?

I upgraded last night also.

Did a pin reset to make sure everything was clean.

Today I noticed the following:

1) I have less satellites than with the old application. Less satellites and less bars in the signal strength meter. Prior to this update I would always have full bars.

2) Home shows me the Restart your Device screen every-single-time. What a PITA.

3) I can no longer Operate my GO from the Home application. The error is: "The following problem occurred. You can continue, but functionality may not be available. This function is not yet supported for your TomTom device or Operating System."

4) There's way less information on the Help>System Information screen than previously available from the device.

WTF? I HAD this functionality before the upgrade....

How many things do they have to break each time they release updates? Can they not simply fix problems without digressing?

This is ridiculous.

I had your "restart your device" and not being able to operate the device from Home when I first updated on a 720. I originally had a SDHC card with full duplicate of the internal apps and map, plus a different map.

Worked fine with 7.48, but had these problems with 8.01. I deleted all but the map from the SDHC card, and these problems went away. It still asks me to download a file when I operate my device(it has been downloaded), but if I say no, it starts up OK.

I don't know your setup, so I don't know if this will help. It does sound like there are some major bugs with this initial 8.xx app.

I was getting the same error messages reported earlier after my update. I posted this to the General Discussion forum. After trying a couple of things in HOME, the messages went away.

I posted this what I did at: http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9695

The version of Home that I have is 2.3.1.92

Update: If I start Home again, the messages are back...If I try to Operate my device, I have to re-download...and then I don't seem to see the messages any more.

Sigh...

Last edited:
I had your "restart your device" and not being able to operate the device from Home when I first updated on a 720. I originally had a SDHC card with full duplicate of the internal apps and map, plus a different map.

Worked fine with 7.48, but had these problems with 8.01. I deleted all but the map from the SDHC card, and these problems went away. It still asks me to download a file when I operate my device(it has been downloaded), but if I say no, it starts up OK.

I don't know your setup, so I don't know if this will help. It does sound like there are some major bugs with this initial 8.xx app.

You were correct. The application was updated but to the SD card rather than the Internal Memory.

I called Support and they've been overwhelmed with the problems since v8 on the 720s and have since pulled it.

According to Support, the Application must reside on the media that the map is on or they cannot guarantee proper functionality.

I have rolled back to 7.481 with their assistance. All is well now.

See here for the steps they gave me.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9663&page=2

Hey everyone, I'm new here and this will be my first post (of many probably).

Anyway, I have a One XLS and today when I plugged it into my computer to get updates (for quickgpsfix, map fixes, etc.) it notified me that a newer software version was available (v8.010). So I download and install it to the device. Everything seems fine, the unit works and even has a few new features (like changing the car icon), except for when I plug it into my computer, I get the following error:

Error when contacting server: you have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27270744@N02/2553920137/sizes/o/

Anyone else getting this? Other than this error I've noticed that when I turn on the GPS it'll sometimes give me an error saying that the selected voice isn't available, I select the default computer voice I've been using and everything is fine again.
I get that error all the time, I just keep clicking on the update request and eventually I get the files. However I am not getting the new software listed and have tried several time a day...

Birdman,

what do the colors represent in your chart, please?

I've got one of those New Editions/V4/whatever it's called. Is it a definite that I'm not going to get the newest? Might that all be tied to my maps?

Thanks

Last edited:
Here's the reply I got from TomTom:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding the issues you have experienced with TomTom HOME since your recent update. It is always our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help.

The latest application update has caused an issue with TomTom HOME. We are currently working to update TomTom HOME to compensate for the issue caused by the 8.010 application update. We apologize for any inconvenience. We appreciate your patience while we work to correct this issue.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Patrick

The TomTom Customer Support Team

That must be a boiler plate reply as I, except for the signature, got the same message, verbatim, when I told them that Home cannot "Change device" after updating from 8.002.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. This is my first time here and wish I would have found it sooner since there's such a great wealth of information.

Just wanted to chime in with the latest update to my One 3rd Edition. Seems like the compass I used to use gave me the option to always point north and show the direction I'm heading in. Now I get a tiny compass arrow but in order to see the direction I'm going in I would have to enable that in the status bar but by doing that it shrinks a lot of the surrounding text to the point where I'm now having problems seeing the characters clearly enough. Anyone else find this a step backwards instead of forwards?

LoboTiger

Hi everyone. This is my first time here and wish I would have found it sooner since there's such a great wealth of information.

Just wanted to chime in with the latest update to my One 3rd Edition. Seems like the compass I used to use gave me the option to always point north and show the direction I'm heading in. Now I get a tiny compass arrow but in order to see the direction I'm going in I would have to enable that in the status bar but by doing that it shrinks a lot of the surrounding text to the point where I'm now having problems seeing the characters clearly enough. Anyone else find this a step backwards instead of forwards?

LoboTiger

Known issue and complaint. The more users that call Support about the compass issue, the more likely the software developers will get around to making the compass functionality as it was (and is) in Navcore 7.

I have a One 3rd Edition, and got the new update this morning. So far, all seems ok. Everything still works the way I had it set up before. I don't use the compass, so I didn't see that issue yet.

The one thing I did notice is that the icons in all of the menus (or most of the menus) seem to have changed, they seem a little more "high-res" than before, looks good actually. And I like changing the arrow icon to different cars... :)

Ken

Updated to the new software the other day, and now my compass is all screwy....it shows N and S ok, but E and W are reversed....anyone else have this issue?

Ask a Question