New Software 8.010

Hey everyone, I'm new here and this will be my first post (of many probably).

Anyway, I have a One XLS and today when I plugged it into my computer to get updates (for quickgpsfix, map fixes, etc.) it notified me that a newer software version was available (v8.010). So I download and install it to the device. Everything seems fine, the unit works and even has a few new features (like changing the car icon), except for when I plug it into my computer, I get the following error:

Error when contacting server: you have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27270744@N02/2553920137/sizes/o/

Anyone else getting this? Other than this error I've noticed that when I turn on the GPS it'll sometimes give me an error saying that the selected voice isn't available, I select the default computer voice I've been using and everything is fine again.

I came here to let everyone know of the new version available also. No errors when I plug in. TomTom Home ALWAYS starts when I plug in now.

I came here to let everyone know of the new version available also. No errors when I plug in. TomTom Home ALWAYS starts when I plug in now.

Do you have a One XL?

I went ahead and emailed TomTom support so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

I have the exact same problem at home start, but when I click the back button everything works the same as before.

Do you have a One XL?

I went ahead and emailed TomTom support so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Yes, one month old. All seems well wih the unit. I have Home version 2.3, it is doing well with the unit upgrade too. I added some new POI's and vehicle Icons. All working.

I have the exact same problem at home start, but when I click the back button everything works the same as before.

That's what I'm getting too, just hit back and we're all set.

Might require an update with the HOME software.

Hey Eric,

Are you still getting the error?

>>> Error when contacting server: you have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application. <<

A ton of people are updating their units. A good guess is that this will go away as traffic on the TomTom servers drops off. Don't let it drive you crazy until it continues for several days.

Hey Eric,

Are you still getting the error?

>>> Error when contacting server: you have an invalid version of the TomTom application installed on your TomTom device. To use HOME you need to install the correct version of the TomTom application. <<

A ton of people are updating their units. A good guess is that this will go away as traffic on the TomTom servers drops off. Don't let it drive you crazy until it continues for several days.

Yeah I just checked and it's still giving me this error. I guess it would make sense that it's a server related problem. Hopefully it'll be fixed by tomorrow, not that it's really an issue, just annoying.

Johnling what version of Home do you have now?

I have 2.3.1.92 which is also what is currently available as a download from the TomTom support site. Each time I go to "Operate my TomTom" in Home it wants to download something. I reply "YES" and it download but does not help on the problem.

I have 2.3.1.92 which is also what is currently available as a download from the TomTom support site. Each time I go to "Operate my TomTom" in Home it wants to download something. I reply "YES" and it download but does not help on the problem.

I'm getting that download too when trying to operate my tomtom, it lets me operate it whether I select to download it or not.

Customizations Missing

I upgraded this morning as well. I lost the ability to use my third party software. Could just be that I don't know how to program it, but, it is not a simple an update as you think.

It does let you change the car icon without hacking anything though. That's a nice bit of eye candy.

Just updated last night before bed and love the new software - the unit now starts instantly when I switch on the power button as opposed to 5 secs, and indeed the car icon change is most welcome. Only query I have now is that the shutdown splash image is quite dim while startup is normal, not sure if that can be fixed though.

You can also edit the speed on a road. It shows the speed limit and your actual speed.

This is a nice feature, the only problem I see is that when you select a road (lets say 14th street) it makes that speed limit for the whole length of road, whereas in reality only sections of this road would have a certain limit while others would have a different limit. Maybe there's something I'm missing though.

Something else I'm noticing with this new software is that after disconnecting from HOME, I have to agree to something on my TT (it does this every time after syncing).

nothing for the One New Edition (2nd Edition)yet, although V7 shows the speed and speed limits properly for each section of road already, using map V7.20. I have one road near my house that goes from 50 MPH to 35 to 45 within about 2 miles. Shows the different speed limits perfectly, at exactly the right spots.

My experiences

I upgraded last night also.

Did a pin reset to make sure everything was clean.

Today I noticed the following:

1) I have less satellites than with the old application. Less satellites and less bars in the signal strength meter. Prior to this update I would always have full bars.

2) Home shows me the Restart your Device screen every-single-time. What a PITA.

3) I can no longer Operate my GO from the Home application. The error is: "The following problem occurred. You can continue, but functionality may not be available. This function is not yet supported for your TomTom device or Operating System."

4) There's way less information on the Help>System Information screen than previously available from the device.

WTF? I HAD this functionality before the upgrade....

How many things do they have to break each time they release updates? Can they not simply fix problems without digressing?

This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Ask a Question