New map on new memory card?

TomTom Model(s)
One II
Hi,

I want to add a new map to my TomTom device but the current memory card doesn't have space so I need a new one. Now, what happens if I download the map to a new memory card, then stick that new card into my TomTom. Will that work? I mean, on the new card there will only be the new map, all the other files that are on the existing card won't be there

I guess I'll have to make a copy of the existing card and then replace the existing map with the new one. Is that right?

Thanks,
Torsten

It would help more if you told us which model of TomTom you have.

If the new map is around the same size as the old one, it should fit fine in the internal memory. You will just delete the older and install the new. (Have a backup done, in case you want to go back.)

If, however, the new map is too large to fit on the internal memory (more than 1 gb), then you have to consider the SD card. For example, if you are changing from the USA_Canada map to North America, it won't fit on the internal memory.

In addition to the map folder, you will have to have a copy of the operating system files on the card too.

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks a lot for your response. As my forum profile says I have a Tomtom One II. I actually don't want to replace my existing map but rather want to add a new map. The new map is about 100 MB and on my memory card I have only about 10 MB left. I don't know how much space I have left on my internal memory and I don't think this is so important. When I try to download the new map, TomTom Home says: "You don't have enough space on your memory card so you either have to delete items from your TomTom or use a new memory card". There is no mention of the internal memory nor is there any information as to how I can use the new memory card if it contains only the map.

So, I'd like to ask my question again: How can I make sure my TomTom will work properly if I use a new memory with only the map on it.

Many thanks,
Torsten

as far as i can tell with reading everything on here. simply putting the map on a new memory card and sticking it in will do nothing. you will most likely get a little icon/animation showing that the memory card isn't working. I've seen the animation when i played around with a blank card i had laying around.

from my understanding on here if you unit has for example 1 gb internal memory and you want to upgrade it you buy a 2 gig card, and then put everything on that card. the map and all other tom tom files. when the system boots up it reads from either the tom tom internal memory or from the extra memory card, but it won't read from both. so in the thought that 1gb internal + 2gb external card = 3gb total, it doesn't work that way. so instead of 1 gb you only have 2gb.

so you can't just put the map on the card. if you do it won't work, it has to have all of the tomtom files so that when it boots from the card, it has everything it needs.

does that make sense?

Hi Twistrman,

Yes your explanation makes perfect sense, many thanks for that. I'll get a new memory card and follow your instructions.

Regards,
Torsten

Yes, I now see that you have a One.

Just to be clear that you understand, when you insert an sd card, the unit boots from the card and ignores the internal memory. You cannot access both maps if one is on the card and the other is in the internal memory. It's a case of either/or.

So if your special map is on the sd card, you can revert to your original map by popping out the card.

Now do you really need a 2 gb card? You could get by with just a 500 mb one. Maybe you have one around the house. Of course, these things are getting so cheap these days, maybe it doesn't matter if you buy the big one.

If you insert a blank sd card and connect to the computer, 'Home' will install the latest firmware and will transfer the activated map to your card.

Yes, I now see that you have a One.

Just to be clear that you understand, when you insert an sd card, the unit boots from the card and ignores the internal memory. You cannot access both maps if one is on the card and the other is in the internal memory. It's a case of either/or.

So if your special map is on the sd card, you can revert to your original map by popping out the card.

Now do you really need a 2 gb card? You could get by with just a 500 mb one. Maybe you have one around the house. Of course, these things are getting so cheap these days, maybe it doesn't matter if you buy the big one.

If you insert a blank sd card and connect to the computer, 'Home' will install the latest firmware and will transfer the activated map to your card.

I tried this. My 720 still boots to the main memory, even with a SD card with maps and every other file copied to it. I went to HOME/Backup and copied everything to the card except for the maps. Then I copied the map i wanted to try onto the SD card....nothing happened when I turned on the TT with the card in it.

j

My 720 still boots to the main memory, even with a SD card with maps and every other file copied to it.

The 720/920 series don't operate in the same way as the earlier models. The unit can see the SD card as an extension. You can put a map or mp3s without the operating system.

Now I am really confused

The 720/920 series don't operate in the same way as the earlier models. The unit can see the SD card as an extension. You can put a map or mp3s without the operating system.

Really? Wow, I have read tons of postings here and this is the first time that I have heard this. So, how does it work to put a different map on the 720? Do I just need the map? I wrote to TT to get a response from them, maybe I will hear soon?

joey

Looks like a lot of people having problems with sd cards and maps. That is why I like my 910 because it has a 20 gb hard drive and I will never have to worry about running out of room.

Ask a Question