New map available according to an email....

TomTom Model(s)
GO510/710 + XXL530•S + XXL550•T
.....that I got just this morning from TomTom:

Map of USA & Canada v.720 (847.6 MB) - USD $99.95

Map of USA & Canada v.720 (2000 MB) - USD $139.95

I bought the former a few months back.

What's on the higher priced map/s to justify the $40 increase??

Without actually knowing I'd guess it would have a bit more detail and hopefully more POI's. As far as I'm concerned all manufacturers come up short on POI's they provide with the units.

"Now with 1GB of good vibrations"

I'm with Bama, it's probably POIs. Somewhere on this board I found list of the POIs that shipped with the x30's; that's probably your best bet.

Beware of "more detail" claims from TomTom... I bought a "more detailed" version of the western states only to find it was merely a subset of the bigger map I already had. Smoke & mirrors.

Re: USA and Canada map for ONE models all having 1GB internal memory vs North America for GO 720 and 920.

The roads are all there, what you get in addition is more details on the maps such as more contours, trails may be there, some important buildings of major cities may be outlined. As for non geographical data, there are speech recognition files so the destination may be inputed by voice and the integrated POIs that are much more complete and even more so with the 920 maps.

IDK, I'm downloading: Map of USA & Canada v.720 (847.6 MB) - USD $99.95 for my XL with my map guarantee. If anyone hase the other version and would like to do a comparison let me know.

I'm guessing that it's filled with features that I can't use. I have a 2gig SD but I'm probably going to get the 2gig NA map for that.

Question for Warlord or those in the know....having never used an SD card in my 720 unit, how does the unit differentiate between a map stored on the internal HD versus the SD card? Does the unit ask when it is first turned on which map to use? TIA, Steve

Question for Warlord or those in the know....having never used an SD card in my 720 unit, how does the unit differentiate between a map stored on the internal HD versus the SD card? Does the unit ask when it is first turned on which map to use? TIA, Steve

x20 works this way. They boot to wherever the operating sstem is found. So, if it boots to internal and there is a map there, it'll assume you want that map until you go to Manage Maps-->and select one residing on the SD. And vice versa.

When you connect the unit to the computer and boot up Home, it'll ask what you want to use, internal or sd card. For example, if you want mapshares for the sd map, you select that choice. Then, when the mapshares are done, you use Home's menu option to Device-->Switch device. Then you go through the update process once more using Home for mapshares for that map.

x20 works this way. They boot to wherever the operating sstem is found. So, if it boots to internal and there is a map there, it'll assume you want that map until you go to Manage Maps-->and select one residing on the SD. And vice versa.

When you connect the unit to the computer and boot up Home, it'll ask what you want to use, internal or sd card. For example, if you want mapshares for the sd map, you select that choice. Then, when the mapshares are done, you use Home's menu option to Device-->Switch device. Then you go through the update process once more using Home for mapshares for that map.

Thanks, Dhn

The second one is the North_America map (The 2GB one). It has more roads (usually the secondary and tertiary roads), more map details (smaller lakes and stuff show up) as well as more POIs.

Ask a Question